The 2019 Radisson Rewards Category Changes Are In Effect. Book These Properties For Fewer Points Now!
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Radisson Rewards instituted its 2019 category award category changes today. On the whole, the Radisson Rewards changes this year weren’t too bad. We lost a few good properties with the increase, but there are more than 50 hotels that are new cheaper to book using your Radisson Rewards points.
As a reminder, here’s what the Radisson Rewards chart of categories looks like:
You’ll find a bunch of limited-service hotels across the US that are part of Radisson Rewards, such as Park Inn and Country Inn & Suites. These are the sort of hotels where points might come in handy if you’re visiting family in a smaller town. But, that’s not where the real value in Radisson Rewards lies. As TPG Family Editor Summer Hull notes, Radisson is fantastic for families, especially abroad.
Now that the March 1 changes are in place, there are definitely a few properties you should consider for an upcoming booking. If you’re in the US, the Radisson Blu Minneapolis is now 20,000 points cheaper per night.
If the southwest is in your plans, the Country Inn & Suites in Page, Arizona (Lake Powell), is 6,000 points a night. And, Dubai is an area where all of the Radisson properties went down in category. There are roughly half a dozen choices, all costing fewer points today than yesterday.
The Bottom Line
Category changes are a rite of passage this time of year. Radisson Rewards’ changes in 2019 really aren’t the worst we’ve seen. That mantle probably belongs to Marriott this year, with the majority of its changes involving properties getting pricier (in just 4 days, here’s your reminder). Hyatt’s changes take place a couple of weeks from now and are more balanced. In some ways, you could look at 2019 as the year of the hotel program devaluation. On some days, and for some properties, it certainly feels that way. But, that glass can also be seen as half full. Be strategic and your travels won’t suffer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees