Book Now: Marriott Category Changes to Take Effect March 5
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: The category changes detailed below took effect on March 5, 2019. For details on Marriott redemption options, please visit How to Redeem Points With the Marriott Bonvoy Program.
One of the most lucrative redemption options in the new Marriott Bonvoy program is slated to come to an end this March when Category 8 pricing takes effect. Roughly 60 of the most luxurious properties in the program will jump from 60,000 to 85,000 points per night, including aspirational locations like the St. Regis Maldives and St. Regis Bora Bora.
Well, we now know when this will happen, as Marriott has officially announced that Category 8 pricing will take effect on Tuesday, March 5, 2019.
The program has also announced its slate of annual category changes, and fortunately the impact is relatively mild. While the program normally has 10-15% of its properties changing categories, just 6% are doing so in this round (note that this includes the 62 luxury resorts moving into Category 8). Unfortunately, the impact is most significant at the top, as 5% are moving up and just 1% are moving down.
It’s also frustrating to only have three and a half weeks’ worth of notice of these changes, as that isn’t a ton of time to finalize plans ahead of the new pricing taking effect. I was holding out hope that the program would provide plenty of notice, but clearly that did not happen.
We’re diving into all of these changes and will be back with a full analysis, but for now you can access the full list of these properties at this page (warning: PDF link). If you were planning a trip to one of the properties increasing in price, you should go ahead and lock in your reservation ASAP, as I’d guess that award inventory will dry up quickly at those resorts.
And even though the new pricing takes effect on March 5, you can book Marriott reservations roughly 50 weeks in advance, so you can take advantage of the current pricing for stays through February 2020, as long as you book by March 5.
Featured image of Al Maha courtesy of Marriott.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees