Target will debut a new customer loyalty program this October
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The iconic red-and-white brand is a large presence in many communities across America, but its store-branded credit card and debit card is not: Only around 25% of Target’s customers utilize the REDcard. The company’s discount program, Cartwheel, also hasn’t gained much traction with its primary intended demographic despite saving shoppers a combined $1.5 billion throughout its lifetime, according to Target.
Target aims to improve that engagement statistic next month with the launch of its revamped loyalty program, Target Circle. The program will be presented in app form, and will automatically enroll customers who hold Target.com and REDcard accounts. Other customers can sign up through the dedicated Target Circle link. To unlock their Target Circle perks at checkout, customers will swipe a barcode from the app or input their phone number.
Perks include a 1% discount on Target purchases for non-REDcard members, while cardholders will continue to earn the standard 5% on purchases made with the REDcard. Members will also receive personalized deals and early access to Target sales in-store and online, including an annual birthday discount of 5%. Target Circle members will also have a say in where Target directs its charitable giving efforts within the local community.
The new loyalty program will give Target a lot more insight into customer behaviors — a move that may make some shoppers wary. (In 2012, Target notoriously realized that a teenage girl was pregnant before her family found out.)
While the overall savings may not be significant, every little bit adds up. If the new program rekindles your curiosity about whether or not the Target REDcard is worth it or not, read our guide to the Target debit REDcard here.
Featured photo by Munoz Alvarez/VIEWpress/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees