Target will debut a new customer loyalty program this October
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The iconic red-and-white brand is a large presence in many communities across America, but its store-branded credit card and debit card is not: Only around 25% of Target’s customers utilize the REDcard. The company’s discount program, Cartwheel, also hasn’t gained much traction with its primary intended demographic despite saving shoppers a combined $1.5 billion throughout its lifetime, according to Target.
Target aims to improve that engagement statistic next month with the launch of its revamped loyalty program, Target Circle. The program will be presented in app form, and will automatically enroll customers who hold Target.com and REDcard accounts. Other customers can sign up through the dedicated Target Circle link. To unlock their Target Circle perks at checkout, customers will swipe a barcode from the app or input their phone number.
Perks include a 1% discount on Target purchases for non-REDcard members, while cardholders will continue to earn the standard 5% on purchases made with the REDcard. Members will also receive personalized deals and early access to Target sales in-store and online, including an annual birthday discount of 5%. Target Circle members will also have a say in where Target directs its charitable giving efforts within the local community.
The new loyalty program will give Target a lot more insight into customer behaviors — a move that may make some shoppers wary. (In 2012, Target notoriously realized that a teenage girl was pregnant before her family found out.)
While the overall savings may not be significant, every little bit adds up. If the new program rekindles your curiosity about whether or not the Target REDcard is worth it or not, read our guide to the Target debit REDcard here.
Featured photo by Munoz Alvarez/VIEWpress/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.