Get a full year of lounge access and other Star Alliance Gold benefits with this status match offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For nearly a year now, Star Alliance member TAP Air Portugal has offered a status match opportunity to elite status members of several popular airline loyalty programs. Although this was launched last year when travel was still on the back burner for many, as pointed out by One Mile At a Time, registration is still open.
Status matches are a way for airlines and their associated loyalty programs to entice prospective customers to shift their spending. With this example, TAP Air Portugal will match your existing status to encourage you to fly with it so you can start enjoying status benefits immediately, rather than having to earn status slowly by flying a lot. If you meet a certain threshold during the period you hold the matched status, such as flying a certain number of miles or flights with TAP, your matched status will be extended.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
TAP Air Portugal Miles&Go status match offer
TAP Portugal’s Miles&Go loyalty program is currently offering to match the following statuses, some of which are popular with U.S. travelers.
|Program||Existing Status||Equivalent TAP Miles&Go Status|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||AAdvantage Executive Platinum||Gold|
|AAdvantage Platinum Pro|
|Air Europa SUMA||Air Europa SUMA Platinum||Gold|
|Air Europa SUMA Gold|
|Air Europa SUMA Silver||Silver|
|Etihad Guest||Etihad Guest Platinum||Gold|
|Etihad Guest Gold|
|Etihad Guest Silver||Silver|
|British Airways Executive Club||Executive Club Gold||Gold|
|Executive Club Silver|
|Executive Club Bronze||Silver|
|Finnair Plus||Finnair Plus Platinum||Gold|
|Finnair Plus Gold|
|Finnair Plus Silver||Silver|
|Air France / KLM Flying Blue||Flying Blue Platinum||Gold|
|Flying Blue Gold|
|Flying Blue Silver||Silver|
|Iberia Plus||Iberia Plus Infinita Prime||Gold|
|Iberia Plus Infinita|
|Iberia Plus Platinum|
|Iberia Plus Gold|
|Iberia Plus Silver||Silver|
|Qatar Privilege Club||Privilege Club Platinum||Gold|
|Privilege Club Gold|
|Delta SkyMiles||SkyMiles Diamond Medallion||Gold|
|SkyMiles Platinum Medallion|
|SkyMiles Gold Medallion|
|SkyMiles Silver Medallion||Silver|
|Emirates Skywards||Skywards Platinum||Gold|
You’ll notice there are no Star Alliance members on the above list. That’s because airlines typically offer matches to members of competing airlines and programs, not their existing partners. It’s also worth mentioning that there are other programs TAP will match from. Be sure to check out the full list.
How to request a status match
To take advantage of this offer, you will need to:
- Sign up as a member of TAP’s Miles&Go program;
- Register for the status match opportunity at this link;
- Submit a photo of your existing elite status in the above programs, which shows your name, loyalty number, status level and expiration date;
- Once this has been completed, you will be informed if you are provisionally approved. You must then either pay for Club TAP Miles&Go (starts at $125 and provides you with bonus Miles&Go miles when traveling) or purchase at least $88 of Miles&Go miles in the program.
Once you have completed all the above steps, your new Miles&Go elite status will be yours to enjoy within 15 days, and it will be valid for 12 months. If you fly four flights with TAP Portugal and earn 25,000 Status Miles in the program (i.e., by crediting Star Alliance flights to the program), your Gold status will be extended by a further 12 months. This is half the normal re-qualification requirements.
Benefits of TAP Air Portugal elite status
Here are the benefits you can expect as a TAP Miles&Go elite member
TAP Air Portugal Silver status (Star Alliance Silver status)
- 25% bonus miles on TAP flights
- Priority check-in, security, and boarding
- Free seat reservations
- Lounge access when traveling on international TAP flights
- Priority wait-listing and priority standby on Star Alliance partner flights
TAP Air Portugal Gold status (Star Alliance Gold status)
- 50% bonus miles on TAP flights
- Priority check-in, security, and boarding
- Extra baggage allowances
- Lounge access whenever traveling on a Star Alliance flight (including domestic United flights)
- Up to 40% off a companion award ticket
- Free Economy Xtra seat assignment
- Waived service charges and fees for some changes
- The ability to gift Gold status (not available to those who have status matched)
Status matches are usually awarded at no cost, though for this offer, you will have to spend at least $88 for your match to be approved. While there are plenty of benefits to be enjoyed with Star Alliance Gold, like increased mileage earning, lounge access and extra baggage allowance, priority check-in, luggage and boarding, Star Alliance Silver comes with few benefits.
Because of that, a Silver match is unlikely to warrant the minimum cost. Although this won’t help fulfill the requirements, keep in mind that through May 31, Capital One is offering 5,000 bonus miles on your first transfer to TAP Portugal Miles&Go.
Additional reporting by Ben Smithson.
Featured photo of the JFK Swiss Lounge by Zach Griff
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees