T-Mobile to Block Roaming for Travelers Who “Roam Excessively”
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
T-Mobile has been a long-time favorite for data and voice services while abroad without needing to buy a new SIM card for each country you visit. Indeed, customers can get unlimited 2G data and texting in 210 international countries at no extra cost through T-Mobile’s Simple Global plan.
But, if you use significant voice or data while roaming abroad, trouble may lie ahead. Multiple customers on T-Mobile ONE and T-Mobile ONE Plus plans recently received a text message stating the following from T-Mobile:
The majority of the last two months of T-Mobile usage on line xxxxxxxxxx has been roaming internationally. If this line continues to roam extensively abroad over the next month, the use will violate our terms and conditions, and your roaming usage will be blocked on September 25 2018. See details: t-mo.co/roaming
Based on the information at the link provided, T-Mobile defines excessive roaming as “using more than 50% of your voice or data off-network for an extended period of time.”
To T-Mobile’s credit, a clause similar to the current clause that explicitly disallows usage of your device that “results in more than 50% of your voice and/or data usage being Off-Net (i.e., connected to another provider’s network) for any 2 billing cycles within any 12-month period” has been present in T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions since June 28, 2008. Most cell phone providers have a similar clause in their Terms and Conditions — T-Mobile is simply choosing to enforce it.
So, if you use a T-Mobile ONE plan frequently abroad, what can you do?
- Buy a SIM card with data and/or voice in countries where you’ll use significant data and/or voice
- Use data and/or voice excessively while in the US to improve your on-network vs off-network ratio
- Ditch T-Mobile and switch to another carrier (like Google Project Fi)
Google Project Fi is Brian Kelly’s one must have travel accessory. I can personally vouch for it as well, as TPG‘s JT Genter and I have used it extensively without problems for the last 13 months we’ve lived mostly abroad. Since you pay for data no matter where you use Google Project Fi, you shouldn’t receive any text messages about using too much overseas data.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees