More Florida nonstops: Airlines add Super Bowl flights to Miami, Fort Lauderdale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The matchup is set for Super Bowl LIV and the nation’s biggest airlines are rolling out a raft of extra flights to capitalize on the big demand.
The game will pit the San Francisco 49ers against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, Feb. 2, at Hard Rock Stadium near Miami. American, Delta and Southwest are among the big U.S. carriers beefing up their flights to South Florida for the event.
American, which operates one of its biggest hubs in Miami (MIA), is adding four extra round-trip flights from Kansas City — some on Boeing 757s. For Bay Area fans, American will run five extra Miami-bound flights ahead of the Super Bowl and four on the return the day after the game. Four of those will run between Miami and San Jose (SJC), a route that doesn’t normally have nonstop service.
Beyond those extra flights, American said it will put Boeing 777-200 wide-bodies on some of its existing flights between Miami and its hubs in Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) Los Angeles (LAX) and New York JFK.
“We’re looking forward to providing new and increased service to Miami so more fans can make their dreams a reality,” Vasu Raja, American’s senior vice president of network strategy, said in a statement announcing the enhanced Super Bowl schedule.
Most of Southwest’s extra flights will be to and from Kansas City. The carrier normally operates two nonstop flights a day between Kansas City and Fort Lauderdale. But that will jump to five to Fort Lauderdale on the Friday before the Super Bowl and five back to Kansas City on the Monday after.
The carrier also is adding one round-trip between San Jose and Fort Lauderdale.
“Our extra flight options are designed to make it easier for more fans to get to and from the championship weekend,” Brook Sorem, Southwest’s senior director of network planning, said in a statement.
Delta Air Lines plans to add 17 additional flights in and out of Miami during the Super Bowl weekend, according to airline spokesman Drake Castañeda. He said Delta also would move bigger aircraft — including widebodies — to some of its existing flights to Miami. TPG has reached out to Delta for schedule details for its extra Super Bowl flights.
Schedule details of the extra Super Bowl flights are below.
Kansas City to Miami
Friday, Jan. 31
Departs 9:05 a.m., arrives 1:13 p.m. (Boeing 757)
Departs 11:50 a.m., arrives 3:50 p.m. (Boeing 737-800)
Departs 5:45 p.m., arrives 9:44 p.m. (Boeing 757)
Departs 8:05 p.m., arrives 12:03 a.m. on Feb. 1 (Boeing 737-800)
Miami to Kansas City
Monday, Feb. 3
Departs 8 a.m., arrives 10:27 a.m. (Boeing 737-800)
Departs 10:45 a.m., arrives 1:20 p.m. (Boeing 757)
Departs 4:25 p.m., arrives 6:51 p.m. (Boeing 737-800)
Departs 5:45 p.m., arrives 8:15 p.m. (Boeing 757)
Bay Area to Miami
Friday, Jan. 31
Departs San Jose 8:15 a.m., arrives 4:41 p.m. (Airbus A321)
Departs San Francisco 11 a.m., arrives 7:38 p.m. (Boeing 737-800)
Departs San Jose 10:10 p.m., arrives 6:28 a.m. on Feb. 1 (Airbus A321)
Saturday, Feb. 1
Departs San Francisco 1:30 a.m., arrives 10 a.m. (Boeing 737-800)
Departs San Francisco 9:45 a.m., arrives 6:18 p.m. (Boeing 767)
Miami to Bay Area
Monday, Feb. 3.
Departs 8 a.m., arrives San Francisco 11:24 a.m. (Airbus A321)
Departs 8 a.m., arrives San Jose 11:24 a.m. (Airbus A321)
Departs 5:45 p.m., arrives San Jose 9:08 p.m. (Airbus A321)
Departs 10:10 p.m., arrives San Francisco 1:38 a.m. on Feb. 4 (Airbus A321)
All of the above flights are in addition to regularly schedule flights already on American’s schedules in these markets.
Kansas City to Fort Lauderdale
Friday, Jan. 31*
Departs 5:55 a.m., arrives 10:05 a.m. (sold out)
Departs 8:15 a.m., arrives 12:20 p.m.
Departs 4:15 p.m., arrives 8:20 p.m.
Departs 6:50 p.m., arrives 10:55 p.m.
Departs 8:50 p.m., arrives 12:55 a.m. on Feb. 1
* = Italics indicate normally scheduled flights. Availability as of 2:45 p.m. ET on Monday, Jan. 20.
Fort Lauderdale to Kansas City
Monday, Feb. 3*
Departs 7:35 a.m., arrives 10 a.m.
Departs 9:40 a.m., arrives 12:05 p.m. (sold out)
Departs 11 a.m., arrives 1:25 p.m. (sold out)
Departs 8:10 p.m., arrives 10:45 p.m.
Departs 9:10 p.m., arrives 11:30 p.m. (sold out)
* = Italics indicate normally scheduled flights. Availability as of 2:15 p.m. ET on Monday, Jan. 20.
San Jose to Fort Lauderdale
Friday, Jan. 31
Departs 8:55 a.m., arrives 5 p.m.
Fort Lauderdale to San Jose
Departs 3:25 p.m, arrives 7:30 p.m.
Featured photo by wellesenterprises/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees