Stranded Ryanair Crews Reportedly Sleep on Airport Floor in Spain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ryanair cabin crews are calling out airline management after 24 crew members were left stranded at Spain’s Malaga Airport (AGP). After several flights were diverted to AGP due to Hurricane Leslie in Portugal, a photo of six Ryanair crew members sleeping on the floor emerged on social media.
Former Ryanair pilot Jim Atkinson criticized the airline by tweeting at Peter Bellew, the Ryanair’s Chief Operations Officer.
Unfortunately. All hotels were completely booked out in Malaga. The storm created huge damage in Portugal. Later after this the crew moved to VIP lounge. Apologies to the crew we could not find accommodation.
— Peter Bellew (@peterbellew) October 14, 2018
The pilots aren’t buying it! pic.twitter.com/OJRKfwyAUm
— Jim Atkinson (@Jimbaba) October 14, 2018
Ryanair claims this photo is “clearly staged.”
“Due to storms in Porto (13 Oct) a number of flights diverted to Malaga and as this was a Spanish national holiday, hotels were fully booked,” the airline said in a statement. “The crew spent a short period of time in the crew room before being moved to a VIP lounge, and returned to Porto the next day (none of the crew operated flights).”
A former Ryanair cabin crew member and now Portuguese union official, Fernando Gandra, told The Irish Times that the photo was intended to illustrate the conditions the airline provided for its staff and that claiming the picture was staged is “irrelevant.”
“I’m not going to comment on whether it was staged or not. Only the people who were there can make that statement,” Gandra explained to The Irish Times.
Tensions regarding Ryanair’s treatment of its employees boiled over when a slew of strikes disrupted travel across Europe this summer and continued into September. One strike left 55,000 flyers stranded, and the airline originally would not compensate the affected travelers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees