The Ryanair Strike Is Disrupting Flights Across Europe
Cabin crew workers for budget carrier Ryanair based in four European countries went on strike Wednesday to protest their work conditions.
Ryanair cabin crew staffers in Portugal, Spain, Belgium and Italy are on strike, forcing the low-cost carrier to cancel about 600 flights during the peak summer travel season. The cancellations are about one-eighth of the carrier’s operations in Europe. Spain was the country with the most cancellations, with nearly one in four Ryanair flights grounded. Massive protests were erupting Wednesday outside the Madrid airport.
At least 50,000 passengers are affected by the two-day strike, all of whom Ryanair says it either re-accommodated or gave full refunds.
Some of the canceled passengers were nevertheless supporting the strike on Twitter.
Pese a que mañana me pueda quedar en tierra, estoy muy orgulloso de la #HuelgaRyanair. Si la empresa no te da unos derechos laborales dignos, los trabajadores y las trabajadoras deben tomarlos. ?? #RaynayMustChange pic.twitter.com/vDEhVivxMt
— Fernando CD? (@Cardenasd98) July 25, 2018
“Regardless of the fact that i might be grounded tomorrow, I am very proud of the Ryanair strike,” one Spanish flyer wrote on Twitter. “If the company does not give you decent rights as a worker, the workers must take them.”
Estoy viendo titulares y directos de cómo viven los viajeros la #HuelgaRyanair. Perdón, pero me interesa mucho más cómo la viven sus trabajadores y qué les ha hecho jugar esta baza para reclamar sus derechos. Ya está bien de bailar el agua a las grandes empresas. #solidaridad
— PoliDisidente ? (@PoliDisidente) July 25, 2018
Another person tweeted: “I see headlines and live TV about how travelers are coping with the Ryanair strike. Sorry, but I am much more interested in how workers are coping and why they had to resort to this to claim their rights. Enough carrying water for big corporations. #solidarity”
The labor unions organizing the strike claim that “employees are hired by Ryanair or its subsidiaries under contracts governed by countries where they are not based, reducing their leave allowances, causing wage disparities and impeding the workers’ access to state benefits,” the AP reports.
Ryanair contends that its cabin crews have fair work conditions. The Irish airline even published the salaries of its workers online, saying that the crew members in Portugal, Spain and Belgium (where the strikes were first declared) are fairly paid.
As a response to the strikes, Ryanair announced it would reduce its fleet at its Dublin base by 20% this winter (down from 30 aircraft to 24), with about 100 pilots and 200 cabin crew members facing potential layoffs.
The strikes began on Wednesday and are set to stretch until the end of Thursday.
Featured image by _jure / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees