This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the holidays, Starbucks and American Express want to help you get your morning buzz for a little bit cheaper. They’ve launched a new promotion offering 15% off for targeted cardholders through Amex Offers.
For the uninitiated, Amex Offers are opt-in, limited-time deals, such as:
- $50 cashback for spending $250+ at Crowne Plaza (available through Nov. 30)
- 20,000 bonus points for spending $200+ at AT&T Wireless (available through Dec. 7)
- 15% cashback at US supermarkets (available through Dec. 31)
- $60 cashback for spending $300+ at Delta (available through Jan. 9)
- $70 cashback for spending $350+ at Waldorf Astoria + Conrad (available through Jan. 31)
- 2,500 bonus points for spending $50+ on Stitch Fix (available through Feb. 28)
The catch is that not all Amex Offers will show up for each American Express cardholder.
But, today we’re talking Starbucks. Through Dec. 31, you’ll get 15% off all Starbucks purchase on targeted cards:
The offer is capped at a maximum of $5, and unfortunately, that maximum isn’t per transaction, but overall. The terms and conditions note that “Limit $5 in statement credit(s) per American Express online account.” That means you’ll max out this offer after spending about $33.34 at Starbucks, though you don’t have to spend that amount all at one time — just before the offer expires.
The good news is this offer seems to pop up every few months, so you can continue to save by signing up for each version.
Unfortunately, this offer can’t be used for e-gift card purchases or physical gift cards purchased online. However, eligible purchases include “app reloads” as well as purchases “in-store at stand-alone Starbucks locations.”
While $5 isn’t a huge amount of savings, you might as well add the offer to your account if you’re a Starbucks fan. And while you’re logged in, make sure to check your list of Amex Offers for other valuable savings:
Remember that Amex Offers are targeted, so not every American Express card will be included in this promotion. In order to see if you’ve been targeted — and to enroll in the offer — log in to your AmericanExpress.com account. Scroll down to the “Amex Offers and Benefits” section. (You may need to click “Load More” to see the offer.)
I’m personally 5-for-6 on my Amex credit cards (3/3 on personal cards and 2/3 on business cards) showing me this Starbucks deal, with the following cards targeted for the offer:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
- The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express
- American Express® Business Gold Card
Unfortunately, Amex is cracking down on people who attempt to use the same Amex Offer across more than one Amex card, and have even announced its intention to claw back credits from some people who used an Amex Offer on multiple cards. So we recommend only registering this offer on one Amex card, regardless of any workarounds you might have used in the past.
Featured image by Marcio Rodrigo Machado/S3studio/Getty Images.
This is The Points Guy’s permanent page about Starbucks Amex Offers, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for details of the latest offer. Keep in mind you may see some reader comments referring to older offers below.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees