Check the Status of Any Star Alliance Flight in United’s App
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s smartphone app just became a lot more powerful, for flyers and flight-tracking enthusiasts alike. Now, in addition to checking the status of United flights — both those operated by UA and those flown as partner-operated codeshares — you can now look up realtime flight details for all of United’s Star Alliance partners. I had no problem pulling up Air New Zealand’s flight from London (LHR) to Los Angeles (LAX), for example, along with United’s own.
American and Delta apps will show you the status of partner flights, too, but only if they’re operated as a codeshare, with an AA or DL flight number attached.
For now, it seems that the app can only display departure and arrival times — it updates in real time in the case of a delay, but there isn’t much info on offer. Gate information also doesn’t appear to come up, so you’ll still need to check airport monitors or your boarding pass to find out where you need to be. You can also pull up similar flight status details by asking Amazon’s Alexa, or via Google Home.
Hopefully United will eventually find a way to add much more functionality, including live seat maps, amenities, aircraft type, delay details and the ability to set push notifications for a particular flight — all of these features are available for flights operated by UA. But if you’re connecting to a partner or traveling on an award, this initial info push is certainly an improvement over what we had before.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.