West Hollywood’s iconic Standard hotel is the latest COVID-19 casualty
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Right on Sunset Strip, the Standard hotel was where all the cool kids went.
Known for the dour doormen guarding the red velvet rope outside its top-secret club called mmhmmm, no riff-raff allowed please, it was the ultimate place to see and be seen.
When it opened 22 years ago, the Standard, with financial backing from both Leonardo di Caprio and Cameron Diaz, was a Nineties mecca of Hollywood glam. Think a Damian Hirst live art installation, giant Perspex egg chairs and acres of shag carpets.
But sadly, it’s the latest institution to fall victim to COVID-19. Today, it announced it would shut its doors for good — effective immediately.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
A representative of the hotel said that due to increased building leasing fees, it “rendered it unsustainable to operate the hotel.” She also said the hotel tried to renegotiate the lease with the landlord.
The Standard brand, with other hotels in Downtown LA, New York, Miami, London and the Maldives, is easily recognizable with its distinctive upside-down logo and high concept design, not to mention its hip cocktails and celeb-spotting opportunities.
The West Hollywood branch was the very first that hotelier Andre Balazs opened in the Standard chain of boutique hotels. It now operates under parent company Standard International and Balazs stepped down as the company’s chairman in 2017.
Coronavirus has dealt the hospitality industry a crushing blow in the past 12 months — the Standard is just the latest hotel to succumb due to lockdown and severe travel restrictions, making it difficult for businesses to stay afloat.
Other major COVID-19 casualties include The Roosevelt in New York — a true Big Apple institution — the InterContinental Moorea in French Polynesia, the uber-chic Ace hotel in London, Luxe Rodeo Drive in LA and the Colorado Belle in Nevada, among others.
Featured image by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees