Singapore Struggling to Sell Premium Economy Seats on Ultra Long-Haul Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret at this point that Singapore Airlines has reclaimed the title of operating the world’s longest flight on its nonstop route between Newark (EWR) and Singapore (SIN). The route is operated by one of the carrier’s Airbus A350-900ULR aircraft, which features just two cabins: business and premium economy. And, as it turns out, one of those two cabins isn’t performing as well as the carrier had originally expected.
Singapore Airlines is having no issue in selling tickets in business class on ultra long-haul routes to the United States. However, in order to get sales in premium economy, the carrier’s having to resort to pricing those seats very attractively, a senior executive told Reuters.
Singapore’s Executive Vice President Commercial Mak Swee Wah, said on Wednesday there was existing demand for the airline’s business-class product on these ultra long-haul flights to the US. The premium economy product, however, is not “entirely familiar” to the US markets, he said.
“I think we need to continue to stimulate and encourage the market to consider this product, initially with very attractive pricing, but eventually I think people will see that even at prices which we offer it is a good product to purchase because it is a very long flight,” he said on Wednesday.
Since relaunching its nonstop route between Newark and Singapore, the airline has been marketing down the price of its premium economy product on the route. More specifically, you can commonly find round-trip fares on the route for less than $1,600 in premium economy. And, as part of Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer Spontaneous Escapes, the airline runs deals where you can redeem 80,000 miles round-trip for a premium economy ticket.
On Tuesday, Singapore Airlines reported an 81% decrease in Q2 net profit — mostly the result of higher fuel prices and lower airfares.
Mak declined to comment if Singapore is considering changing the configuration of its A350-900ULR to outfit it with more business-class seats. The A350-900ULR features 67 business-class seats in a 1-2-1 configuration, split between two cabins. Read a full review of the product here.
In the premium economy cabin, you can expect to find 94 recliner seats in a 2-4-2 configuration. Each of the seats has 38 inches of pitch and is 19.5 inches wide. You can read a full review of the product here.
Featured image by JT Genter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees