Spirit Airlines Drops Three Cities From Fort Lauderdale Route Map
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, that didn’t last long. Spirit Airlines will ax three routes from Fort Lauderdale that it began less than a year ago.
Flights to the North Carolina cities of Greensboro (GSO) and Asheville (AVL) will end Nov. 10 and Nov. 13, respectively. Spirit’s intra-Florida route between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Jacksonville (JAX) ends Nov. 12.
News of the of the discontinued routes was first reported by Routes Online and the dates of the last flights have been confirmed by Diio by Cirium.
All three routes were introduced within the past year. The North Carolina routes began in September while the Fort Lauderdale-Jacksonville route begin in February.
Spirit did not immediately comment on why it is ending the service, though TPG has reached out to the carrier for more details.
Even with the loss of the Fort Lauderdale flights, the ultra low-cost carrier will continue to fly from all three cities. From Asheville and Greensboro, Spirit also offers a mix of seasonal and year-round service to both Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA). From Jacksonville, Spirit offers nonstop service to Baltimore/Washington (BWI), Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Detroit (DTW).
Spirit is the only carrier flying nonstop between Greensboro and Fort Lauderdale, but it had competition on the other Fort Lauderdale routes it’s dropping.
From Jacksonville, JetBlue and Southwest also currently offer nonstop service to Fort Lauderdale, though Southwest will suspend its service between those cities on Jan. 6. Allegiant currently competes against Spirit between Asheville and Orlando.
Featured photo by Javier Rodriguez / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees