Spirit Airlines Drops Three Cities From Fort Lauderdale Route Map
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Well, that didn’t last long. Spirit Airlines will ax three routes from Fort Lauderdale that it began less than a year ago.
Flights to the North Carolina cities of Greensboro (GSO) and Asheville (AVL) will end Nov. 10 and Nov. 13, respectively. Spirit’s intra-Florida route between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Jacksonville (JAX) ends Nov. 12.
News of the of the discontinued routes was first reported by Routes Online and the dates of the last flights have been confirmed by Diio by Cirium.
All three routes were introduced within the past year. The North Carolina routes began in September while the Fort Lauderdale-Jacksonville route begin in February.
Spirit did not immediately comment on why it is ending the service, though TPG has reached out to the carrier for more details.
Even with the loss of the Fort Lauderdale flights, the ultra low-cost carrier will continue to fly from all three cities. From Asheville and Greensboro, Spirit also offers a mix of seasonal and year-round service to both Orlando (MCO) and Tampa (TPA). From Jacksonville, Spirit offers nonstop service to Baltimore/Washington (BWI), Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and Detroit (DTW).
Spirit is the only carrier flying nonstop between Greensboro and Fort Lauderdale, but it had competition on the other Fort Lauderdale routes it’s dropping.
From Jacksonville, JetBlue and Southwest also currently offer nonstop service to Fort Lauderdale, though Southwest will suspend its service between those cities on Jan. 6. Allegiant currently competes against Spirit between Asheville and Orlando.
Featured photo by Javier Rodriguez / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.