Spirit adding biometrics to minimize interactions between passengers and staff
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines may be best known for its low, unbundled fares and endless upsells (including a TPG favorite, the Big Front Seat), but now the ultra-low-cost carrier’s looking to boost its reputation as a technology leader, with what it’s calling “the check-in experience of the future.”
Now available at Chicago O’Hare (ORD) and New York LaGuardia (LGA), the carrier’s new lobby areas use biometric photo-matching to help speed up the check-in process. After scanning their ID and agreeing to a face scan, passengers can use Spirit’s kiosks to confirm their identity, allowing them to check in their own bags without an agent’s assistance.
Spirit says it’s the first U.S. airline to employ this technology for domestic passengers. For the time being, agents do need to verify a passenger’s ID before they can access the scanners, but the airline hopes to eliminate that step once it secures TSA approval, which the airline expects soon.
Spirit has been testing the new solution with international travelers the past few months, and now it’s ready to roll it out to domestic customers as well. Spirit’s new check-in tech is now available at LaGuardia and O’Hare, with the carrier hoping to offer it at other airports soon.
According to Spirit, “Guests check around 1,000 bags daily right now at ORD and LGA, each of which represents a face-to-face interaction that can be eliminated. Spirit anticipates handling more than double that volume when demand for air travel returns to normal, 90% of which the airline expects to process via self-bag drop.”
In addition to reduced interactions between passengers and staff, the new system has proven to save time, since travelers don’t need to wait for an employee to wander over and process their checked bag. According to Spirit, the new bag-drop process takes an average of 70 seconds per customer, which it says is 30% faster.
Currently, Spirit’s tech just covers the check-in process — you’ll still need to scan your boarding pass at the gate. Still, biometric boarding will likely follow at some point, as the technology has already proven effective with some international flights, including those operated by American, Delta and JetBlue.
Featured photo courtesy of Spirit Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees