Spirit adds 2 new routes from Atlantic City, including its first international flight from the airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines will try its luck in Atlantic City.
On Tuesday, the Miramar, Florida-based carrier announced a notable expansion at its operating base in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Spirit is adding two new routes, including the airlines first international flight from the airport.
Service to Cancun, Mexico (CUN), will take off with four weekly flights on Oct. 29, followed on Oct. 31 by three weekly flights to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU).
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Additionally, as part of the news, Spirit reaffirmed its commitment to launching the previously announced route from Miami (MIA) to Atlantic City on Oct. 6 with daily service.
Spirit’s expansion in Atlantic City brings the carrier to ten destinations from the city. This summer, the airline’s operation in ACY is 35% larger than it was in 2019, which, according to Spirit, is due to increasing demand for air travel.
Spirit is the only major U.S. airline operating flights from Atlantic City. Thanks to its close proximity to both Philadelphia and Newark, Atlantic City offers a convenient alternative for those living in between the two major East Coast airports.
To date, other U.S. airlines have skipped over Atlantic City, in favor of the larger airports nearby. United was the last big domestic network carrier to serve the city in December 2014, per Cirium schedules. (Air Canada was actually the last major airline to fly there in September 2015.)
So, Spirit’s enjoyed a nearly six-year run as the monopolist in Atlantic City. Now, the airline is ready to cross the border for the first time since establishing service there.
In 2012, the airport opened an expanded terminal, which included a federal inspection station providing the ability to process international travelers. When the facility opened, the airport “pursued international air carriers and air service routes,” but nothing ever came to fruition. (Air Canada’s flights from Toronto were treated as domestic service since there is a U.S. customs pre-clearance facility in the Pearson International Airport.)
Now, the customs facility will handle its first scheduled international flights. It’s anyone’s guess how Spirit will fare, but it’s certainly hoping to beat the odds.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees