Southwest Is Testing out a Speedier Boarding and Deplaning Process
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is reimagining what boarding could look like on its flights in the future. The airline, which is known for its standard three-group, No. 1 to No. 60 boarding procedure, is looking to speed up the process.
As detailed on its website, Southwest is opening up another option for both boarding and deplaning at select airports. So, what’s different about the new process? Well, not all too much is changing with the letter and number you’ll see on your boarding pass, which varies based on what kind of fare you buy and when you check-in. However, Southwest says that it’s opening two doors to the aircraft instead of one — you’ll have the choice to board or deplane out of the front or the rear door.
If you’re flying in to, out of or connecting through Burbank (BUR), Long Beach (LGB), Sacramento (SMF) or San Jose (SJC) with Southwest, you might be able to test out the new boarding and deplaning process on your next flight.
Southwest says that the new option is intended to make the boarding and deplaning process faster for passengers. With the new process, the carrier is informing passengers that those choosing to board or deplane through the rear door may have to go up (or down) a set of stairs and walk outside. The carrier also says that preboard passengers will be required to use the jetbridge.
As a reminder, Southwest utilizes a three-group boarding process (A, B and C). In each of the groups, passengers are assigned a number 1-60 — both of which are based on when you check-in. The earlier you check-in, the lower your boarding group and position will be. Once a boarding group is called, passengers are invited to board in numerical order in an open seating plan — there are no assigned seats. Southwest offers several products to guarantee you an earlier boarding spot, either by purchasing a Business Select Fare (guaranteed A1-A15 boarding) or EarlyBird Check-In. Additionally, A-List and A-List Preferred Rapid Rewards members get preferred boarding.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees