Southwest: Mechanics Dispute Costing Airline ‘Millions’ a Week
Southwest Airlines mechanics’ operational disruptions are costing the carrier “millions” per week, CEO Gary Kelly said Tuesday.
Speaking at a JP Morgan conference in New York, Kelly said the losses were due to lost revenues and other costs associated with flight delays and cancellations, Reuters reports.
The dispute between the airline and its mechanics surfaced in February, when Southwest declared an “operational emergency” after about double the amount of normal aircraft were out of service, allegedly due to maintenance slowdowns. Southwest has been forced to cancel hundreds of flights in February and March as a result of the number of unavailable planes. On average, 20 planes out of Southwest’s Boeing 737 fleet have been out of service each day; last week, Southwest had to ground 45 planes on Feb. 26 and and 51 on Feb. 27.
The carrier filed a lawsuit last week against the mechanics’ union, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, alleging that the group had encouraged its 2,400 workers to intentionally ground aircraft over minor maintenance issues in order to leverage the plane shortage in labor contract negotiations.
The union and airline have been in contract negotiations since 2012.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.