Southwest: Mechanics Dispute Costing Airline ‘Millions’ a Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines mechanics’ operational disruptions are costing the carrier “millions” per week, CEO Gary Kelly said Tuesday.
Speaking at a JP Morgan conference in New York, Kelly said the losses were due to lost revenues and other costs associated with flight delays and cancellations, Reuters reports.
The dispute between the airline and its mechanics surfaced in February, when Southwest declared an “operational emergency” after about double the amount of normal aircraft were out of service, allegedly due to maintenance slowdowns. Southwest has been forced to cancel hundreds of flights in February and March as a result of the number of unavailable planes. On average, 20 planes out of Southwest’s Boeing 737 fleet have been out of service each day; last week, Southwest had to ground 45 planes on Feb. 26 and and 51 on Feb. 27.
The carrier filed a lawsuit last week against the mechanics’ union, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, alleging that the group had encouraged its 2,400 workers to intentionally ground aircraft over minor maintenance issues in order to leverage the plane shortage in labor contract negotiations.
The union and airline have been in contract negotiations since 2012.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees