South African Airways to restart regional flights from September
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a small but significant step toward the return of normal international travel, South African Airways will restart commercial flights from Sep. 23 for the first time in more than a year — but only within the African continent.
The airline has long struggled to be profitable, particularly on long-haul routes where it’s faced fierce competition from Middle Eastern carriers such as Emirates and Qatar Airways. The airline has also received hundreds of millions of dollars in the form of local government bailouts and debt guarantees.
Before the pandemic, South African Airways operated flights to such major international hubs as New York-JFK, London (LHR) and Frankfurt (FRA).
Flights to Hong Kong (HKG), Munich (MUC) and São Paulo (SAO) were cut before the pandemic even began.
South African aviation regulators have now restored the Star Alliance members’ operating license, allowing it to rebuild some of its route network. The airline is starting slowly with flights from its Johannesburg (JNB) hub to Cape Town (CPT), Accra (ACC), Kinshasa (FIH), Harare (HRE), Lusaka (LUN) and Maputo (MPM).
The airline had previously been majority-owned by the South African government, though in June 2021 a majority take was sold to a local jet-leasing company, Global Airways, and private-equity firm Harith General Partners.
If you’re hoping to see South African Airways return to long-haul flying, the airline is taking a “wait and see” approach — as is the case with international travel in general. The new owners have confirmed the South African government has no more financial obligations to the airline, and that route networks will be further restored when, and if, demand recovers following the coronavirus pandemic.
Ticket sales for the resumed regional routes are now on sale.
Featured image by JT Genter / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees