Some passport centers are now in Phase Two of reopening — but you still can’t book a same-day appointment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Home-weary travelers, rejoice: Your local passport agencies and centers are coming out of quarantine.
As of July 6, a total of 17 passport agencies and centers are now open, according to the state Department’s website: 13 under Phase One of the agency’s three-phase reopening plan, and four under Phase Two.
As of July 6, the four centers that have entered Phase Two include:
All four are located in the northeast region of the U.S.
The centers that are open under Phase One include:
- Arkansas Passport Center
- Atlanta Passport Agency
- Chicago Passport Agency
- Colorado Passport Agency
- Detroit Passport Agency
- Honolulu Passport Agency
- Minneapolis Passport Agency
- National Passport Center
- New Orleans Passport Center
- Philadelphia Passport Agency
- San Juan Passport Agency
- Vermont Passport Agency
- Washington Passport Agency
And these centers are still waiting on the green light before reopening:
- Dallas Passport Agency
- El Paso Passport Agency
- Houston Passport Agency
- Los Angeles Passport Agency
- Miami Passport Agency
- San Diego Passport Agency
- San Francisco Passport Agency
- Seattle Passport Agency
- Western Passport Center
Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean you can just march in to one of the open locations and walk back out with a passport.
During both Phase One and Phase Two of reopening, in-person appointments will only be granted for travelers who need a passport within the next 72 hours for life-or-death emergencies only.
Applicants must have a confirmed appointment for same-day processing, and must wear cloth face coverings in all common areas, including the lobby, and observe strict social distancing.
2020 has been a rough year for just about everyone on the planet, and travelers needing new or renewed passports have been no exception. The agency has been on lockdown since mid-March, with extremely limited services available to travelers with extreme emergencies only. Meanwhile, partner agencies offering expedited passport services have also been placed on hold, all while the State Department has accumulated an unprecedented backlog of approximately 1.7 million passport applications as of mid-June.
However, progress is hopefully just one phase away: By Phase Three of reopening, all agency staff will return to their posts, and passport agencies will once again begin offering limited appointments for travelers with trips within two weeks of appointment date.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees