Some passport centers are now in Phase Two of reopening — but you still can’t book a same-day appointment
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Home-weary travelers, rejoice: Your local passport agencies and centers are coming out of quarantine.
As of July 6, a total of 17 passport agencies and centers are now open, according to the state Department’s website: 13 under Phase One of the agency’s three-phase reopening plan, and four under Phase Two.
As of July 6, the four centers that have entered Phase Two include:
All four are located in the northeast region of the U.S.
The centers that are open under Phase One include:
- Arkansas Passport Center
- Atlanta Passport Agency
- Chicago Passport Agency
- Colorado Passport Agency
- Detroit Passport Agency
- Honolulu Passport Agency
- Minneapolis Passport Agency
- National Passport Center
- New Orleans Passport Center
- Philadelphia Passport Agency
- San Juan Passport Agency
- Vermont Passport Agency
- Washington Passport Agency
And these centers are still waiting on the green light before reopening:
- Dallas Passport Agency
- El Paso Passport Agency
- Houston Passport Agency
- Los Angeles Passport Agency
- Miami Passport Agency
- San Diego Passport Agency
- San Francisco Passport Agency
- Seattle Passport Agency
- Western Passport Center
Unfortunately, this doesn’t mean you can just march in to one of the open locations and walk back out with a passport.
During both Phase One and Phase Two of reopening, in-person appointments will only be granted for travelers who need a passport within the next 72 hours for life-or-death emergencies only.
Applicants must have a confirmed appointment for same-day processing, and must wear cloth face coverings in all common areas, including the lobby, and observe strict social distancing.
2020 has been a rough year for just about everyone on the planet, and travelers needing new or renewed passports have been no exception. The agency has been on lockdown since mid-March, with extremely limited services available to travelers with extreme emergencies only. Meanwhile, partner agencies offering expedited passport services have also been placed on hold, all while the State Department has accumulated an unprecedented backlog of approximately 1.7 million passport applications as of mid-June.
However, progress is hopefully just one phase away: By Phase Three of reopening, all agency staff will return to their posts, and passport agencies will once again begin offering limited appointments for travelers with trips within two weeks of appointment date.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.