Spain’s First Women-Only Hotel Is Open in Mallorca
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sorry, guys, but you won’t be able to get a reservation at the Som Dona Hotel in Mallorca, Spain — ever — because only women are allowed.
Som Dona, which opened in June, offers women ages 14 and up comfort, relaxation and healthy living, all with a distinctly Mediterranean vibe.
In addition to the typical resort amenities (a beautiful, sprawling pool and chic rooftop bar), the hotel is home to a spa with treatments geared toward women; women-focused fitness classes; and special food and wine tastings.
Rooms are distinctly feminine in design (yes, there are pops of pink, but incorporated in an artful, contemporary way) and feature thoughtful amenities such as professional-grade hair dryers, hair straighteners, antifog bathroom mirrors and special hangers for delicate garments. Closet organizers include special spaces for jewelry, while bathrooms are stocked with makeup-removing towelettes
And the hotel’s mission to be focused on the needs of women doesn’t end with its guests: Som Dona hires women employees whenever possible, while still respecting Spain’s parity laws.
“One of our objectives is also to give a certain visibility to women doing traditionally masculine jobs,” Som Hotels president Joan Enric Capellá told Lonely Planet.
The hotel arrived on the market at a time when solo travel, especially among women, is rapidly growing. In 2018, 33% of women respondents from around the world told Booking.com they’d taken a solo trip. But the Som Dona Hotel isn’t just for women traveling alone. While it’s a space where women can certainly feel safe and comfortable during solo trips, it’s also perfect for friends, mothers and daughters and couples. In fact, group trips are a major trend for women who choose to travel solo. Joining other women on a trip (or at a resort) is a great way to make friends while avoiding certain safety and logistical concerns.
Of course, women-only spaces in the travel industry aren’t totally new — even in Mallorca. In 2014, for example, the Barcelo Illetas Albatros created a special floor just for women, and some hostels on the island offer women-only dorms.
Double rooms at Som Dona start at 72.50 euros (about $80) per night. Packages with breakfast and other meals included are also available, and retreats and wellness workshops designed specifically for women travelers are in the works, too.
Feature image courtesy of Som Dona Hotel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees