This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, it snowed in Maui.
Uncharacteristic of its usual sunny climate, Hawaii was hit with a winter storm earlier this week that caused intense winds, surges of rain, high tides and, as mentioned above, snow.
The snow hit the Polipoli State Park in Maui (and is forecasted to appear in some other areas on the island as well) with drifts up to 4-feet. While it’s not unheard of for the island’s mountain regions, such as Haleakalā, which receives a bit of snow in the winter months, this may be the lowest elevation in which snow has been recorded in Hawaii’s history.
“For perhaps the first time ever, snow has fallen in a Hawai’i State Park. Polipoli State Park on Maui is blanketed with snow. It could be the lowest elevation where snow ever recorded in the state. Polipoli is at 6,200 feet elevation,” the representative from the State Department of Land and Natural Resources told CNN.
The snow, according to Fox, originated from a storm system called Kona Low, which is a “chunk of cold, low-pressure air separated from the cold jet stream.” The storm is predicted by meteorologists to die down throughout the week, but those on the Islands should anticipate windy conditions and sporadic showers as the storm passes through the state.
Winter weather has been affecting many states across the US this week, with snow and ice disrupting nearly 3,000 flights so far.
Featured image by Lance End/AP via CNN.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees