Snow Falls in a Hawaiian State Park for ‘Perhaps First Time Ever’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, it snowed in Maui.
Uncharacteristic of its usual sunny climate, Hawaii was hit with a winter storm earlier this week that caused intense winds, surges of rain, high tides and, as mentioned above, snow.
The snow hit the Polipoli State Park in Maui (and is forecasted to appear in some other areas on the island as well) with drifts up to 4-feet. While it’s not unheard of for the island’s mountain regions, such as Haleakalā, which receives a bit of snow in the winter months, this may be the lowest elevation in which snow has been recorded in Hawaii’s history.
“For perhaps the first time ever, snow has fallen in a Hawai’i State Park. Polipoli State Park on Maui is blanketed with snow. It could be the lowest elevation where snow ever recorded in the state. Polipoli is at 6,200 feet elevation,” the representative from the State Department of Land and Natural Resources told CNN.
The snow, according to Fox, originated from a storm system called Kona Low, which is a “chunk of cold, low-pressure air separated from the cold jet stream.” The storm is predicted by meteorologists to die down throughout the week, but those on the Islands should anticipate windy conditions and sporadic showers as the storm passes through the state.
Winter weather has been affecting many states across the US this week, with snow and ice disrupting nearly 3,000 flights so far.
Featured image by Lance End/AP via CNN.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.