Snow Falls in a Hawaiian State Park for ‘Perhaps First Time Ever’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, it snowed in Maui.
Uncharacteristic of its usual sunny climate, Hawaii was hit with a winter storm earlier this week that caused intense winds, surges of rain, high tides and, as mentioned above, snow.
The snow hit the Polipoli State Park in Maui (and is forecasted to appear in some other areas on the island as well) with drifts up to 4-feet. While it’s not unheard of for the island’s mountain regions, such as Haleakalā, which receives a bit of snow in the winter months, this may be the lowest elevation in which snow has been recorded in Hawaii’s history.
“For perhaps the first time ever, snow has fallen in a Hawai’i State Park. Polipoli State Park on Maui is blanketed with snow. It could be the lowest elevation where snow ever recorded in the state. Polipoli is at 6,200 feet elevation,” the representative from the State Department of Land and Natural Resources told CNN.
The snow, according to Fox, originated from a storm system called Kona Low, which is a “chunk of cold, low-pressure air separated from the cold jet stream.” The storm is predicted by meteorologists to die down throughout the week, but those on the Islands should anticipate windy conditions and sporadic showers as the storm passes through the state.
Winter weather has been affecting many states across the US this week, with snow and ice disrupting nearly 3,000 flights so far.
Featured image by Lance End/AP via CNN.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees