SkyWest Airlines Orders More Embraer Jets for Expanded Delta Pact
SkyWest Airlines has ordered seven Embraer 175 regional jets as part of an expanded partnership with Delta Air Lines.
The Utah-based regional carrier will begin taking delivery of the aircraft in the fourth quarter, Embraer said in a statement on Wednesday. The aircraft will be outfitted with 70 seats, including 12 in first class, 20 in Comfort+ and 38 in economy, due to limits on seating aboard small jets in Delta’s contract with its pilots.
✈️ @SkyWestAirlines keeps growing. Today, they ordered seven more #E175 in a 70-seat configuration. Deliveries start in Q4. The airline will have over 160 E175s in their fleet. pic.twitter.com/O9DhKKAAcC
— John S. Slattery (@Johnslattery100) August 7, 2019
The news comes a day after Delta named SkyWest as one of its three regional providers going forward. The mainline carrier will end its partnerships with Compass Airlines and GoJet Airlines by mid-2020 and transfer their flying to SkyWest, as well as Endeavor Air and Republic Airline.
“This announcement is positive for SkyWest in a number of ways, and will allow for further westward movement in our Delta network,” said Chip Childs, CEO of SkyWest, in a letter to employees viewed by TPG on Aug. 6. “Some of those changes will start taking place as early as this fall, with us ultimately expecting to become the primary, if not exclusive, Delta Connection carrier in SLC, LAX and SEA.”
SkyWest’s E175 order is part of a larger deal to add 13 of the type to its fleet with Delta. The six used aircraft are owned by the mainline carrier and will be transferred from Compass beginning in early 2020, Cowen analyst Helane Becker said in a report Wednesday. However, Delta has also cancelled plans to add six Bombardier CRJ900s at SkyWest.
The seven new E175s will likely replace an equal number of Bombardier CRJ700s as yet unspoken for in the GoJet fleet. Endeavor said Tuesday that it will take 13 of the 20 CRJ700s at GoJet.
The E175 is generally preferred by passengers over the CRJ700. The 70-seat layout has more first class seats — 12 versus up to nine — and a larger cabin than the Bombardier jet.
In addition, Delta can reconfigure the E175 with up to 76 seats if the limits in its pilots’ contract change.
Featured image courtesy of SkyWest.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees