‘You can’t Zoom your holiday’: Singapore Airlines hopes ‘green lane’ could help restart US travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Star Alliance carrier expects that first flight to be less than full, carrying a mix of holidaygoers and cargo to the U.S. East Coast, Singapore Airlines regional vice president for the Americas Joey Seow told TPG in an interview.The flight will complement service between Singapore (SIN) and Los Angeles (LAX) that have continued flying during the coronavirus pandemic.
For now, tourists on the flight will likely have Singaporean residency, because of travel restrictions currently in place by Singapore’s government. But Singapore Airlines hopes that its Los Angeles and New York flights will be carrying more than just holidaygoers and cargo soon with the prospect of a possible COVID “green lane” between Singapore and the U.S. on the horizon.
“I don’t think it will be before long that we will do something with the [U.S.] administration,” Seow said about the possibility of a green lane. “We hope that one can be implemented shortly.”
The idea of a green lane, or travel bubble, would require all travelers to provide proof of a negative COVID test from a set period before they fly. In return, they could land and move around without quarantines or other restrictions in their destination.
Any discussions of a travel bubble are between Singaporean and U.S. authorities and not with the airline, Seow said.
With U.S. COVID infection numbers rising, a bubble with pre-flight testing could reopen travel with Singapore. This would be good news for Singapore Airlines — which prior to the pandemic offered up to eight daily flights to six U.S. airports — and United Airlines who fly between the countries.
“I feel there is a little bit of pent up travel demand on the leisure front. You can’t Zoom your holiday,” said Seow. He added that while Americans cannot enter Singapore currently, they can transit at Changi Airport to places like the Maldives.
In the meantime, Singapore is preparing for more leisure flyers on its U.S. flights for the foreseeable future. The decision to fly its standard Airbus A350-900, rather than the premium-configured long-range ULR variant, is seen as a better seating mix for “those who are a bit more budget conscious,” said Seow.
And the restarted flight could play a key role in pushing back the pandemic. With a high concentration of pharmaceutical manufacturing in the New York area, Singapore could play a key role in helping distribute the eventual COVID vaccine between Asia and the U.S.
Featured image by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees