Singapore Airlines cancels hundreds of flights, including 14 to the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines has adjusted some of its global operations as a result of the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 virus, also known as the coronavirus.
Airlines around the world have reduced frequencies and completely cut routes to China and other Asian destinations as a result of the outbreak. Singapore has elected to reduce and sometimes even cut completely routes to Mainland China. However, as of Tuesday, the airline is also set to cancel specific flights to other destinations in its network.
Related reading: Complete guide to traveling during the deadly coronavirus outbreak
In total, Singapore is cancelling the most flights on routes to Tokyo — both Haneda (HND) and Narita (NRT) airports. In addition, the airline is cancelling almost 80 flights to Seoul, as well as several routes to Taipei. It’s also cancelling 44 flights between London and Singapore. You can view the full list of cancellations here (PDF).
In North America, Singapore is cutting one flight on its route from Singapore to New York via Frankfurt. On May 10, SQ26 from Singapore to JFK is cancelled, and so is the return flight on May 11, SQ25 from New York to Singapore. Additionally, the airline has cancelled some flights between Singapore and Los Angeles and Singapore and Seattle.
Singapore is cancelling the following Singapore to Los Angeles flights:
- SQ36 Singapore to Los Angeles: Cancelled on April 26, May 6 and May 27
- SQ35 Los Angeles to Singapore: Cancelled on April 26, May 6 and May 27
In addition, the following six flights between Singapore and Seattle are cancelled:
- SQ28 Singapore to Seattle: Cancelled on May 11, May 18, May 25
- SQ27 Seattle to Singapore: Cancelled on May 11, May 18 and May 25
Singapore said that it’s going to continue to monitor the situation. If demand as a result of the COVID-19 virus continues to slump, the airline could make further adjustments.
Passengers who were ticketed on a flight that has been cancelled will be contacted by the airline. However, if you have travel planned with Singapore Airlines coming up, it’ll be worth checking your reservation to make sure your flight hasn’t been affected by these cancellations — now or in the future.
Featured photo by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees