Award Space for the Whole Family on the World’s Longest Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
The world’s longest flight will return to Newark Airport (EWR) on October 11, covering a distance of roughly 9,500 miles with just under 19 hours of flying time. Singapore Airlines will operate the flight to Changi Airport (SIN) with its two-cabin Airbus A350-900ULRs, with just 161 seats in total — 67 in business class and 94 in premium economy.
Premium-economy awards have been plentiful, and fares have been cheap, but those coveted business-class seats have commanded a higher redemption level of 135,000 miles each way — until now.
As reported by svenblogt, Singapore Airlines seems to have opened the saver-award floodgates, offering up tons and tons of business-class seats on the airline’s new flagship flight, beginning on October 16, just a few days after launch.
Given the popularity of this key business route, I wouldn’t expect to see many dates with even one saver seat open, let alone six!
In fact, I searched for a bunch of random dates between the flight’s launch in October and the end of the schedule in July 2019, and came up with a whole bunch with 6+ open seats. Here’s a flight in January with six seats, for example:
And another near the end of the schedule, on July 3, 2019:
There’s plenty of space on the return leg, too, from Singapore back to Newark:
And of course there’s saver space in premium economy, as there has been in the past. At 70,000 miles for premium and just 22,000 more for biz, I’d definitely splurge for business class — with some 19 hours on the plane, that works out to roughly 1,000 more miles per hour. A small price to pay for a lie-flat seat.
While this isn’t my favorite Singapore business seat — that, you’ll find on the new Boeing 787-10 — the A350 seats are decently comfortable, especially if you happen to snag a bulkhead row.
The one downside is that Singapore doesn’t release these premium awards to most of its partners — you can’t book with United MileagePlus, for example — but there are plenty of options for boosting your KrisFlyer account to book directly, as explained in this post.
That’s because KrisFlyer partners with all four transferrable currencies — Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou and Starwood Preferred Guest. Points transfer at a 1:1 ratio from all four programs, though you’ll need 3 Marriott points for every KrisFlyer mile once the program combines with SPG on August 18.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees