Silver Airways’ Caribbean flights will soon be on brand-new ATR turboprops
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Regional carrier Silver Airways plans to operate all flights at its hub in San Juan, Puerto Rico, with new ATR turboprops from July, as it works towards retiring its fleet of Saab 340 turboprops.
The transition begins March 4, when Fort Lauderdale-based Silver will introduce its ATR 72-600s on flights between San Juan (SJU) and both St. Croix (STX) and St. Thomas (STT) in the U.S. Virgin Islands, according to Cirium schedules. The aircraft have 70 seats in a 2-2 configuration.
Silver will then replace Saab 340Bs, which have 34 seats, on San Juan flights on a mostly one-for-one basis over the next four months:
- Anguilla (AXA): ATR 42s operate four-times weekly service starting July 6.
- Antigua (ANU): ATR 42s operate twice-weekly service starting July 5.
- Dominica (DOM): ATR 42s operate daily service starting June 5.
- St. Croix (STX): ATR 42s and 72s operate up to two of three daily flights starting March 4, all flights starting July 5.
- St. Kitts (SKB): ATR 42s operate four of seven weekly flights starting April 5, daily starting July 5.
- St. Maarten (SXM): ATR 42s operate twice-weekly service starting June 6.
- St. Thomas (STT): ATR 72s operate twice daily service starting March 4.
- Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI): ATR 42s operate five-times weekly service starting June 5.
- Tortola (EIS): ATR 42s operate up to three of four daily flights starting April 5, all flights starting July 5.
Silver’s shift to ATR turboprops from Saabs in San Juan was first reported by PaxEx.Aero.
American Airlines codeshares with Silver on the latter’s flights from San Juan, including those operated with ATRs, Cirium schedules show. That might feel like something of a throwback for those who remember American’s former San Juan hub. ATRs featured prominently in that operation until the mainline carrier retired the last of them in 2013.
Delta Air Lines is also due to codeshare with Silver on the regional operator’s Caribbean flights from San Juan.
Silver first introduced the ATR 72 last November, and the ATR 42-600 in April 2019. It operates 10 ATR aircraft, including seven ATR 42s and three ATR 72s, and has an order for up to another 40 of the turboprops, Silver spokeswoman Misty Stoller told TPG.
The airline plans to have four ATRs based in San Juan by July.
Silver aims to replace its fleet of 22 Saab 340Bs with ATRs in the future.
Featured image courtesy of Silver Airways.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees