A Serial Burglar Is Pretending to Be a Guest and Robbing Hotels in New York City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Police are on the hunt for a man who has been robbing hotels across Manhattan.
According to the New York Post, he’s been tricking housekeepers into thinking he’s a guest so they let him into rooms as they are cleaning up.
The first burglary was on July 23 at the Club Quarters Hotel in the Financial District. Police claim he stole a $1,300 MacBook Pro, a $220 backpack, a wallet valued at $74, a MacBook case and Apple headphones. We reached out to the hotel for a statement, but they did not get back to us in time for publication.
Just a few days later, on July 27, he robbed both the Hilton Garden Inn on Water Street (also in the Financial District) before moving uptown to the Courtyard Marriott on West 40th Street, near Bryant Park. At the Hilton, he stole a a $2,000 laptop, $1,100 in cash and a $500 watch, among other miscellaneous items, according to police. He also stole two laptops, a tablet, a cell phone, earbuds, a passport, a checkbook and a credit card from the Marriott.
On July 30, the suspect stole another $2,000 worth of belongings from the DoubleTree Hotel downtown, and then later went uptown to the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. A spokesperson for the Marriott Marquis said, “We are aware of this report . . . and are providing appropriate assistance as needed. Because it is a matter under police investigation, we [won’t] comment further.”
Yet the serial burglaries have continued, and on Aug. 8, he stole a $2,200 MacBook Pro and $400 Bose headphones from the Grand Hyatt near Grand Central Station.
Police said all of the victims were not from the area, and if you have any information, call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
In the meantime, travelers planning trips to New York City may want to take extra precautions to secure valuables. Be sure to use the hotel safe if one is available, and consider bringing a cable lock for your laptop — especially keeping in mind the thief’s modus operandi. Guests may even want to carry certain valuables with them when they leave the hotel (namely wallets and headphones) or leave the “Do Not Disturb” sign up to prevent housekeeping — or serial burglars — from entering the room in the first place.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees