Sephora Introducing Cobranded Credit Cards with Travel Perks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cobranded store credit cards are far from new, however, the past few years have seen a resurgence of these cards, especially in conjunction with new store loyalty programs. Now, Sephora has announced the introduction of three cobranded store credit cards, including one with travel benefits, to accompany the store’s loyalty program.
Sephora is one of the largest cosmetic retailers in the world. Sephora is known for specializing in higher-end products and a more customer-oriented experience. Sephora has also embraced loyalty programs through the cosmetic giant’s Beauty Insider program. Though most shoppers are aware of Sephora’s extensive lines of make-up, including popular brands such as Lancôme and Clinique, Sephora also sells a variety of products marketed towards men, including Jack Black, Kiehl’s and dozens of premium colognes.
Here’s what we know about the new Sephora credit cards, set to launch this spring:
Sephora Store Credit Card:
The entry Sephora credit card will likely be issued through a bank independent of card issuers such as Visa or Mastercard. This means that the entry-level card will likely only be used for purchases at Sephora, whether it’s in-store or online. This also means that this card will likely come without an annual fee. The Sephora store-issued card probably won’t feature many benefits either.
As alluded to above, all three cards will be linked to Sephora’s Beauty Insider program. However, Sephora hasn’t announced what earning rates will look like for cardholders versus standard non-cardholders who are members of the Beauty Insider program. Most store credit cards typically allow cardholders to earn additional points or rewards compared to standard shoppers, and Sephora’s entry-level credit card will likely be no different.
Sephora Visa Credit Card:
This card will enable Sephora shoppers to earn points outside of Sephora when they use their card. Stores such as Nordstrom, Banana Republic and Best Buy have similar cards issued by Visa, in which members of each store’s reward program can earn points or rewards outside of the stores for which the card is cobranded. This card may or may not have an annual fee.
Again, the rate at which Sephora Visa cardholders will earn Beauty Insider points is not yet known. It is likely that Sephora Visa cardholders will earn more than standard Beauty Insider members. The standard Sephora Visa is likely to come to with more benefits compared to the standard Sephora credit card, but will still be quite limited when it comes to benefits outside and even inside Sephora stores.
Sephora Visa Signature Card:
The third and final Sephora credit card that is set to launch this spring is the Sephora Visa Signature Card. This card will almost definitely come with an annual fee, which could be a turn off for some shoppers. The fee would likely cover the card’s suite of benefits and potentially mean a higher earning rate compared to other cards. The Sephora Visa Signature Card, like the standard Visa card, could be used outside of Sephora at other retailers. However, what will set this card apart is the list of benefits, many of which are fantastic for travelers.
- Access to Visa’s Signature Luxury Hotel Collection
- Rental Car Collision and Damage Coverage
- Roadside Assistance
- Trip Delay and Lost Luggage Reimbursement
- Global Entry Statement Credit
- Priority Pass Lounge Access
- Incidental Statement Credit with Select Airlines
When Will the Sephora Credit Cards Be Made Available?
In a press release, Sephora announced that these three credit cards will be made available sometime during the spring. Spring officially starts this Wednesday, March 20, and ends June 21, so hopefully anytime during that period. Initially, the cards will be made available in-store only in select markets. These markets have yet to be announced.
In a press release, Sephora Senior Vice President of CRM and Loyalty Andrea Zaretsky said, “The launch of the Sephora Credit Card exemplifies Sephora’s loyalty philosophy in every sense; it considers all the most-loved aspects of Sephora — the amazing product, services, experiences and personalization — taking our client experience to the next level through special access, rewards and perks.”
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Jeff Greenberg/UIG/via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.