Hilarious all-new secret password will unlock bonus treats at Kimpton hotels this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kimpton generally makes for a fun hotel stay due to its unique atmosphere — plus neat inclusions, such as an evening happy hour and ‘raid the mini bar’ perk for elite guests. But throughout the year, Kimpton takes the fun up a few notches with a secret password that unlocks extra goodies for anyone who utters the magic words.
To kick off the long weekend, a brand new password has returned. The new Kimpton social password is appropriate for the current season: “No more sweatpants”.
TPG readers have reported weaving the secret phrase into their check-in conversation to be both fun and rewarding. However, if the check-in agent is a little surprised or confused with the password, just let them know you saw it on Kimpton’s official Twitter account and hopefully the manager on duty will know what to do.
My family has used the secret password several times, including at the Hotel Monaco Denver, which resulted in the kiddos each getting to spin the prize wheel to win a free in-room movie and snacks!
Other Kimpton social password surprises we have heard of in the past include:
- A bottle of wine
- Comped parking
- Branded coffee mug
- Two drinks at the on-site bar
- Doubled Raid the Bar credit
- Room upgrade
- $30 dining credit
- Breakfast vouchers
- Hot chocolate kit
- In-room movie
- Free IHG points
On top of whatever treats the password unlocks, remember that Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Spire Elite IHG Rewards Club members get a Raid the Bar credit when staying at a Kimpton property.
Related: Best hotel credit cards
If that interests you, the easiest way to quickly earn IHG elite status is through the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, which provides Platinum Elite status. The card has an $89 annual fee but the annual fee essentially pays for itself if you make use of the annual award night benefit. On top of that, the card is currently offering 125,000 bonus points, plus a reward night after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
But, it doesn’t take any elite status or credit cards to say these funny magic words at your next Kimpton check-in to see what sort of magic is unlocked: “No more sweatpants”.
With the 2021 summer travel season just beginning, the timing is right to pack away the sweatpants and remember to add that phrase to your next Kimpton check-in.
Additional reporting by Ariana Arghandewal.
Featured image of the Kimpton Seafire by Scott Mayerowitz/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees