Mexico travel demand fueling major airport expansion in San Antonio
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amid surging demand for service to Mexico and other international destinations, officials in San Antonio are planning major changes that will transform the passenger experience at San Antonio International Airport (SAT) in the years to come.
The plans include new gates already in the works, terminal improvements, runway renovations, upgraded baggage, parking and ground transportation facilities, and an entirely new terminal expected to open within the next six years.
Airport officials detailed the plans — which are expected to cost billions of dollars over the coming two decades — to San Antonio’s city council last week.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
A big part of the need for improvements is a huge spike in demand for international travel, Airports Director Jesus Saenz said. He told city leaders, in 2021 alone, the airport saw a 60% jump in international traffic compared to pre-pandemic 2019; growth he believes is nowhere close to finished.
“A lot of that right now is Mexico,” Saenz said, “And we have more future expansion plans we’re working on,” mentioning airport officials are eyeing between 12 and 20 new additional international destinations.
San Antonio is just one of many U.S. airports that have seen surging demand to Mexico over the last couple years.
On top of the international traffic, city documents reveal leaders anticipate passenger traffic in general will likely come close to doubling over the next 20 years in San Antonio.
Currently, construction crews are working to add two new gates in San Antonio’s Terminal B, which airport leaders say will help bolster American Airlines’ operation.
The airport is also adding a new Gate A16.
These three new gates – added to the airport’s existing 24 gates – are expected to boost potential passenger capacity by about 13%, leading to more than a million new enplanements annually.
Related: Road trips from San Antonio
As airport officials plan for renovations to existing terminal facilities to go along with major runway improvements, there’s even bigger plans in the works for an entirely new Terminal C.
The new terminal is expected to include space for up to 17 new gates, including several international gates and a new international arrivals hall, along with a wider concourse and improved concession options.
Planning is underway for that new terminal, and while a lengthy contracting and construction process is yet to come, airport officials hope it would open by the spring of 2028.
San Antonio currently serves 40 destinations in the U.S. and Mexico. In addition to flights to many of the major hubs of U.S. legacy carriers, the airport also has service on a growing list of low-cost airlines like Allegiant, Breeze, Frontier and Sun Country. International carriers Viva Aerobus, AeroMexico and Volaris offer nonstop service from San Antonio to Mexican destinations in Mexico City, Leon, Guadalajara and Cancun.
Featured photo courtesy of San Antonio International Airport via Facebook.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees