Salt Lake City Airport, a hub for Delta, reopening after earthquake
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Salt Lake City International Airport is set to reopen after a 5.7 magnitude earthquake that struck west of the city Wednesday morning caused the airfield to close for about four hours.
On its website, the airport said that it was closed earlier in the day following the quake. Cargo and general aviation flights were able to resume a few hours ahead of commercial passenger operations.
The Salt Lake City Tribune reported the quake caused damage to the airport and buildings in the city’s downtown, including the Salt Lake Temple. According to the paper, the Angel Moroni statue there lost its trumpet as a result.
The airport is a large hub for Delta Air Lines, though the carrier has not yet issued a waiver for flights there.
As of 3:55 p.m. ET, 179 departures and 179 arrivals had been canceled, according to flight-tracking site FlightAware.com.
The U.S. Geological Survey announced the quake — which occurred at 7:09 a.m. local time — and is asking for witness reports.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with as the airport prepares to resume regular operations.
Featured photo by Darren Murph/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees