‘So Many People, So Scared’: Ryanair Flight Evacuated After Phone Charger Ignites
A Ryanair flight from Barcelona to Ibizia was evacuated on Tuesday when a passenger’s cell phone charger caught on fire.
The phone caught fire while it was being charged by a portable battery pack, which ignited the initial flames, Ryanair told Newsweek. Fortunately, the incident occurred before takeoff, and — thanks to a fast-moving passenger — was quickly extinguished before it could do serious damage.
The phone, however, was charred to a crisp.
Here you can find the pics of the mobile phone and power bank that caused the #evacuation on #ryanair flight yesterday at Barcelona Airport. Caution awareness needs to be raising regarding #lithiumbattery #cabincrew #flightattendant #azafata #aeromoza #TCP #dangerousgoods pic.twitter.com/7GRA0OSz3d
— Cabin Crew Club (@club_cabin) August 1, 2018
All passengers were safely evacuated from the aircraft via the emergency inflatable slides. Ryanair said it put the passengers on a different plane, and they were eventually flown to Ibizia.
Passenger Anthony Carrio posted a video of the fiery incident on Instagram. He said he was sitting in the same row as the flyer with the charger, and after it ignited, he’d “never seen so many people so scared.”
looks like it harfer to get to ibiza then we thought ive never seen so many people so scared in there life! portable charger blew up in the same row as I was sitting everyone tries to run and all I do was put it out with water 😂 luckily it was just before taking off come on people how can no one else think of doing that fire across the whole plane width of the plane emergency exits are pre fun when there’s not a real emergency #ryanair #fire #emergency #panic #geteveryoneout #bombscare To use this video in a commercial player or in broadcasts, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
A post shared by Anthony Carrio (@anthcarrio) on
Just one lithium battery, if left in the cargo hold, can take a commercial plane down, according to a new study by the FAA. Especially if the flames mix with other flammable items like aerosol spray or other cosmetics, the plane could rapidly catch fire. Airlines instruct passengers to keep all items with lithium batteries, like cell phones and laptops, with them in the cabin so if they do overheat and ignite, they can be extinguished by flight crew.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees