Ryanair Cancels More Europe Flights Due to Strikes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Budget carrier Ryanair said it would cancel 190 flights across Europe on Friday due to more employee strikes.
The airline said the canceled flights will affect 30,000 passengers, all of whom have been notified of the disruption via email or text. Friday’s cancellations represent about 8% of the airline’s total European operations.
Employee unions with the Ireland-based carrier will be striking in Spain, Belgium, Holland, Portugal, Italy and Germany. Since May and through the summer, Ryanair has faced extensive staff demonstrations from its pilots and cabin crews protesting working conditions across Europe.
Labor unions organizing the strikes have said the airline’s “employees are hired by Ryanair or its subsidiaries under contracts governed by countries where they are not based, reducing their leave allowances, causing wage disparities and impeding the workers’ access to state benefits,” the AP reports.
The airline has signed labor agreements with the Italian Airline Pilots Association, which marked the first time Ryanair settled with any labor union in its 30-year history. It also has since settled with several cabin and/or pilots unions in Ireland, the UK and Germany. Over the past several weeks, Ryanair has reached out to pilots’ unions in Belgium, Holland, Spain, Portugal and Germany to try to make similar agreements.
The carrier said it “sincerely regrets these unnecessary customer disruptions” caused by the strikes on Friday.
Featured image by SILAS STEIN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.