Ryanair Cancels More Europe Flights Due to Strikes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Budget carrier Ryanair said it would cancel 190 flights across Europe on Friday due to more employee strikes.
The airline said the canceled flights will affect 30,000 passengers, all of whom have been notified of the disruption via email or text. Friday’s cancellations represent about 8% of the airline’s total European operations.
Employee unions with the Ireland-based carrier will be striking in Spain, Belgium, Holland, Portugal, Italy and Germany. Since May and through the summer, Ryanair has faced extensive staff demonstrations from its pilots and cabin crews protesting working conditions across Europe.
Labor unions organizing the strikes have said the airline’s “employees are hired by Ryanair or its subsidiaries under contracts governed by countries where they are not based, reducing their leave allowances, causing wage disparities and impeding the workers’ access to state benefits,” the AP reports.
The airline has signed labor agreements with the Italian Airline Pilots Association, which marked the first time Ryanair settled with any labor union in its 30-year history. It also has since settled with several cabin and/or pilots unions in Ireland, the UK and Germany. Over the past several weeks, Ryanair has reached out to pilots’ unions in Belgium, Holland, Spain, Portugal and Germany to try to make similar agreements.
The carrier said it “sincerely regrets these unnecessary customer disruptions” caused by the strikes on Friday.
Featured image by SILAS STEIN/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees