You May Have to Travel to France to Rosé All Day This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US government has been temporarily reopened for the next three weeks, and it’s not just the aviation world that’s breathing a sigh of relief.
A vital part of the process of getting rosé distributed is having labels approved by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) by means of a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA). However, since the bureau was not functioning throughout the shutdown, those bottles pending approval have been held at a standstill until they can be processed by the TTB. Until they’re approved, they cannot be distributed. That means die-hard devotees might need to start planning a trip to France this summer in order to get their fix.
The approval process usually takes up to 36 days, which means that the 35 days of inactivity during the partial shutdown will likely lead to a significant backlog of labels waiting to be approved. An industry-wide survey shows that more than 70% of respondents were pending label approval. According to Wine Spectator, getting through backlogged labels could take months.
Naturally, the backup is going to take a toll on the industry. Most notably, rosé and imported wines require a COLA preceding distribution. That means that this summer you might just have to take a trip to, say, France to enjoy everyone’s favorite summer beverage — a great excuse to hit up this wine theme park.
H/T: Wine Spectator
Featured image by istockphotos.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees