You May Have to Travel to France to Rosé All Day This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US government has been temporarily reopened for the next three weeks, and it’s not just the aviation world that’s breathing a sigh of relief.
A vital part of the process of getting rosé distributed is having labels approved by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) by means of a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA). However, since the bureau was not functioning throughout the shutdown, those bottles pending approval have been held at a standstill until they can be processed by the TTB. Until they’re approved, they cannot be distributed. That means die-hard devotees might need to start planning a trip to France this summer in order to get their fix.
The approval process usually takes up to 36 days, which means that the 35 days of inactivity during the partial shutdown will likely lead to a significant backlog of labels waiting to be approved. An industry-wide survey shows that more than 70% of respondents were pending label approval. According to Wine Spectator, getting through backlogged labels could take months.
Naturally, the backup is going to take a toll on the industry. Most notably, rosé and imported wines require a COLA preceding distribution. That means that this summer you might just have to take a trip to, say, France to enjoy everyone’s favorite summer beverage — a great excuse to hit up this wine theme park.
H/T: Wine Spectator
Featured image by istockphotos.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees