Rolls-Royce Is Building Snake Robots to Fix Jet Engines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Engine manufacturer Rolls-Royce is pushing forward with new technology that uses robots to inspect and repair its turbofan engines. The company says the robots fit into an overall vision — dubbed IntelligentEngine — of how the future of jet engines will be built using new digital technology, from concept to design to service.
Snakes on a Plane
Rolls-Royce is developing two different snake robots to both view and make repairs to jet engines. COBRA is a single snake-style robot linked to a virtual reality setup that fully immerses an engineer in a Virtual Reality experience, so they can see exactly what the robot is seeing inside the engine. With the COBRA system, engineers are able to don a VR headset and take a look at and repair any engine anywhere on the planet remotely. A full concept demonstration is scheduled for 2020.
Along with COBRA is FLARE. FLARE is a pair of snake-style robots that work together to make repairs to thermal coatings inside of jet engines. These repairs can be completed without ever removing the engine from the aircraft wing. That will save time and result in fewer maintenance delays, which is good for passengers and airlines.
This year, engineers were able to use this technology to successfully repair an engine in a laboratory.
The third robotic technology that Rolls-Royce is developing is called SWARM. These tiny robots have the ability to work together to reach places deep inside a turbofan engine. The idea behind this technology is to give an operator a real-time view of the inside of the engine, allowing the operator to view areas of interest or flag items that might need repair — all without dismantling the engine first.
In fact, the SWARM robots just completed a major milestone: Harvard University and the University of Nottingham, partners in the SWARM program, have reported the tiny robots are able to successfully crawl upside down on engine components.
While none of these technologies are ready to be deployed to your home airport just yet, these concepts give us a glimpse of what’s just around the corner when it comes to inspecting and repairing jet engines.
Featured photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees