Robots armed with virus-killing UV light could be the cabin cleaning crews of the future
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Robots armed with ultraviolet light that can kill 99% of bacteria and pathogens, including coronavirus, are being tested on planes as a potential tool to restore passenger confidence.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The robot cleaners come from the smartly-named Swiss startup Uveya and incorporates much of the same technology hospitals use. The high-tech cabin cleaning service uses environmentally-friendly UV-C rays – no chemicals — to sanitize the air and all surfaces inside an airplane. The robot has lights mounted on a crucifix-shaped frame which provide a soft-blue glow as it moves up the aisle. The entire disinfection process reportedly takes just 13 minutes for single-aisle planes. Larger planes will likely take more time to complete the sanitary sweep.
The new technology was recently tried out on a regional Swiss carrier Helvetic Airways plane in Switzerland. René Marmet, Chief Operating Officer of Helvetic Airways, said, “By making available our infrastructure and fleet for testing, Helvetic Airways is significantly contributing to the development of a promising and innovative aircraft disinfection solution which aims to make air travel safer going forward.”
Aircraft companies still have to certify the robots, and it’s still unclear what impact the UV light could have on a plane’s interior upholstery. But a company official is confident its three prototype robots will clear the trials with flying colors. “We believe this collaboration will help assure aircraft are clean, safe and up to the high-level standards of this industry,” said Uveya’s Business Development Manager, Tristan Chevignard.
If they can speed up the turnaround time, it could make the automated technology an enticing option for airlines. More important, the robots could be the answer for airlines looking to reassure travelers it’s safe to fly without the fear of catching COVID-19.
Featured image courtesy of dnata.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees