Starting today: Requalify for American Airlines elite status with credit card spend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month, American Airlines announced two new pathways to requalify for AAdvantage elite status. So, on top of reduced qualification requirements this year, existing American Airlines AAdvantage elites can also requalify by spending $15,000 on an AAdvantage cobranded credit card or earning 2,000 elite-qualifying dollars (EQDs). However, there are set periods in which you must spend or earn for these pathways.
And although the EQD pathway doesn’t start until September, the credit card pathway begins today. Here’s everything you need to know about requalifying for elite status with American Airlines this year through credit card spend.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Requalify for American elite status with credit card spend
This year, existing American Airlines AAdvantage elite members can requalify for status by spending $15,000 on an AAdvantage cobranded credit card between July 15 and Nov. 15. If you meet the spending requirement on an eligible card, American will extend your status through Jan. 31, 2023.
All Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cards, AAdvantage® Aviator® and AAdvantage® credit cards issued outside the U.S. are eligible for this promotion. You can combine spend on purchases across all of your cobranded American credit cards to reach the $15,000 threshold.
The information for the AAdvantage Aviator cards has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Of course, there’s also the second pathway for easy requalification. This second pathway may be better for some elites, as it requires earning 2,000 EQDs on American or partner-operated flights between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31, 2021.
If you want to use either of these pathways to requalify, you don’t need to register. Simply spend $15,000 on your card or earn 2,000 EQDs — each within the specified time frame — to get your status extended.
However, you can only use the two pathways for easy requalification if you held elite status with American Airlines on Jan. 1, 2021. As such, members who snagged status through limited-time status challenges and new elite members aren’t eligible. Further, there is no way to earn elite status or upgrade your status tier with this promotion.
Also, note that Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members who requalify through one of these two pathways for easy requalification aren’t eligible for elite choice rewards (including systemwide upgrades). You must earn status the “old-fashioned” way to acquire these perks. Thankfully, American is offering lower elite qualification requirements this year in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Feature photo by Markus Mainka/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees