Report: American in talks with GOL for Latin American partnership
If airlines placed personals ads, American Airlines’ might sound something like: World’s (former) largest airline seeks partner with strong Latin American roots.
That’s because American reportedly is seeking a new ally in the Southern Hemisphere in the ongoing fallout from last month’s surprise news that Delta was acquiring a 20 percent stake in former AA partner LATAM Airlines.
GOL is a major competitor to LATAM, especially in Brazil.
American acknowledged the talks, but said there are no developments to report.
“We’re always talking to potential partners as we’re continuing to grow our network,” said American Airlines spokeswoman Nichelle Tait. “This is business as usual.”
She also noted that American already has an interline agreement in place with GOL, and that airlines regularly look for ways to maximize benefits from all their partnerships.
For American, the loss of its partnership with Chile-based LATAM is a major setback for it in the South American market.
If American does ultimately strike a deal with GOL, the move would help it in the Brazilian market. But GOL would not come close to replacing the regional scale offered by outgoing partner LATAM, which is by far South America’s largest carrier. It has a dominant presence in several markets, including in Chile, Brazil and Peru. GOL flies to several countries in South America and to the U.S. and the Caribbean, but its route network is heavily focused on the domestic Brazilian market.
Featured photo by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.