National Airport set to open new 14-gate concourse, spelling the end for D.C.’s most-dreaded gate
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For D.C. residents and visitors have something new to look forward to as travel continues to return.
The new terminal at Reagan National Airport finally has an opening date: April 20.
The new concourse, which will hold gates 46 through 59 — has been under construction since 2017. It’s the first major improvement for the airport in more than two decades.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Most excitingly, for many travelers: the new concourse means that passengers will no longer have to use the infamous Gate 35X, a notoriously cramped area where passengers would have linger before boarding a bus to their aircraft.
According to the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, the concourse will not be completely finished when it opens in April. But even though the April launch will be more of a “soft opening” with “several months” of construction remaining, passengers will be able to begin using the new gates right away.
The opening comes at a unique time for the airline and broader travel industries, with demand and passenger counts still severely below 2019 levels due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
However, passenger counts have been steadily ticking up for several weeks, constantly setting new pandemic-era records. Forward bookings and flight searches are also increasing, suggesting that a travel boom is on the horizon as more Americans receive their coronavirus vaccines.
Featured image courtesy of the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees