Seattle Airport Has Unwelcome Visitors: Rats
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Seattle-Tacoma Airport (SEA) has attracted more and more flyers in recent years. Unfortunately, the airport also has attracted unprecedented numbers of unwanted visitors: rats.
SEA is facing a rat infestation thanks both to a host of construction projects, which are pushing rats into the terminal, and its uptick in passengers, who leave more garbage behind for the rats to feast on.
Reportedly, the airport is currently undergoing 120 construction projects. Airport officials are working with restaurant owners to help devise a solution to the rampant rodent problem.
“A lot of the food spaces are doing some new deep cleans in their spaces, some of the spaces that are in and around construction, they’ve gotta make sure they have holes sealed up that wildlife may end up getting into,” airport spokesman Perry Cooper told KIRO 7 news.
Officials are also adding nearly half a million dollars to the airport’s pest control budget to help assuage the issue. The extra $449,000 will help pay for new rodent sensors to help catch the vermin, as well as hiring four staff members who will be on rat patrol in the terminals 24/7.
Inspectors from Seattle and King County’s Health Department are closely monitoring the situation and are making weekly visits to the airport to check on the its progress in stopping the rats. No restaurants inside the airport have yet been closed due to the rat infestation. Travelers are encouraged not to leave their trash around the terminals, as that attracts the rodents. Health officials say the situation has been improving.
“Our Environmental Health team is aware of the rat issue in the central terminal, and they are providing technical assistance to the facilities to help them address the problem,” the Seattle and King’s County Health Department told KIRO 7 in a statement. “So far, nothing we’ve seen has risen to the level of an imminent health threat, and they are making progress on correcting the issue.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees