Forget ‘nowhere’ — Qantas launches ‘scenic flight to somewhere’ with overnight stay
Qantas bosses have had to think outside the box to get passengers back in seats as the restrictions on travel for Australians remain some of the strictest in the world. So, as domestic travel restrictions start to lift, the airline is planning a series of overnight getaways to the best of Australia‘s vacation spots.
“Now that more [domestic] borders are starting to open, we’re partnering with tourism operators on the ground to offer special flights to special destinations,” said Qantas CEO Alan Joyce.
The first trip is to Uluru — or Ayers Rock.
The trip will depart Sydney (SYD) on December 5 and return the following day. The itinerary is set to wow the 110 passengers who bag themselves a ticket.
Starting with a Champagne breakfast, passengers will then board a Qantas 737 and head to Uluru Airport (AYQ) with up-close flybys of Sydney Harbour Bridge, Kata Tjuta and Uluru itself en route.
The ticket also includes evening entertainment, a three-course dinner and a sunrise visit to Uluru the following morning.
The first-of-a-kind adventure comes with a hefty price tag: a whopping 3,999 AUD ($2,800) in business class and AUD 2,499 ($1,750) in economy. Note that the flight is operated by a narrow-body 737, meaning business class is a standard recliner seat.
The success of the airline’s first “flight to nowhere” is what prompted the airline to take the idea one step further.
“We were overwhelmed with the response to our scenic flight while most [domestic] border restrictions were still in place,” Joyce said. “It sold out in 10 minutes and the feedback from people onboard was fantastic.”
Australians have been under some of the harshest restrictions around the world, as they’re currently not allowed to leave the country. That, compared to the U.S. and Europe, which are still relatively free to move around for business and pleasure.
These unique scenic flights are a COVID-19 trend we’re seeing being adopted by several airlines, predominantly in Asia, including Tiger Airways and EVA.
Featured image by @wendy.floyd via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees