Qantas Says It Will Recycle or Compost 75% of Its Waste by 2021
The Qantas Group just announced a new initiative that could make it the world’s first airline to reuse, recycle and compost at least 75% of its waste by the end of 2021.
Currently, Qantas and Jetstar discard of more than 30,000 tons of waste a year. “That’s the same weight as about eighty 747 jumbos,” said Qantas Group CEO, Alan Joyce.“It is quite literally a waste and we have a responsibility to our customers, shareholders and the community to reduce it.”
The airline plans on reducing its waste by removing 100 million “single-use” plastic items. Which means, by the end of 2020, it will have replaced 45 million plastic cups, 30 million cutlery sets, 21 million coffee cups and 4 million headrest covers with environmentally-friendly alternatives. Qantas also plans on donating and composting more food and recycling old uniforms.
The airline said it would launch a new frequent flyer program as well that will offset carbon emissions. Starting sometime in 2019, customers will be able to earn 10 points per dollar spent offsetting their travel from Australia if they book on the Qantas website. “Around 10% of passengers already choose to offset their flights so we’re hoping that the added incentive of earning Qantas Points helps to boost this number,” said Joyce.
For the single-use waste products that aren’t replaceable (like plastic wrappings used for hygienic purposes and specific heat resistant containers for meal prep), Qantas plans on collaborating with manufacturers and other airlines to develop new alternatives. “Few industries can eradicate waste completely,” said Joyce. “But with this program, we’re saying that avoidable waste should no longer be an acceptable by-product of how we do business.”
Featured image by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.