Qantas Says It Will Recycle or Compost 75% of Its Waste by 2021
The Qantas Group just announced a new initiative that could make it the world’s first airline to reuse, recycle and compost at least 75% of its waste by the end of 2021.
Currently, Qantas and Jetstar discard of more than 30,000 tons of waste a year. “That’s the same weight as about eighty 747 jumbos,” said Qantas Group CEO, Alan Joyce.“It is quite literally a waste and we have a responsibility to our customers, shareholders and the community to reduce it.”
The airline plans on reducing its waste by removing 100 million “single-use” plastic items. Which means, by the end of 2020, it will have replaced 45 million plastic cups, 30 million cutlery sets, 21 million coffee cups and 4 million headrest covers with environmentally-friendly alternatives. Qantas also plans on donating and composting more food and recycling old uniforms.
The airline said it would launch a new frequent flyer program as well that will offset carbon emissions. Starting sometime in 2019, customers will be able to earn 10 points per dollar spent offsetting their travel from Australia if they book on the Qantas website. “Around 10% of passengers already choose to offset their flights so we’re hoping that the added incentive of earning Qantas Points helps to boost this number,” said Joyce.
For the single-use waste products that aren’t replaceable (like plastic wrappings used for hygienic purposes and specific heat resistant containers for meal prep), Qantas plans on collaborating with manufacturers and other airlines to develop new alternatives. “Few industries can eradicate waste completely,” said Joyce. “But with this program, we’re saying that avoidable waste should no longer be an acceptable by-product of how we do business.”
Featured image by Ryan Pierse/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees