Google’s Project Fi Rebrands, Becomes Accessible to iPhone Users and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Google’s Project Fi has long been a TPG favorite for its simplicity and wide network, giving users access to data and cell phone coverage all around the world. As of Wednesday, Google is dropping the “Project” and changing the product’s name to “Google Fi.”
And, in addition to changing it’s name, Google Fi is making the product accessible on more devices. The company said that one of the most common pieces of feedback it receives about Fi has to do with working on more devices, and Google is changing that. As of Wednesday, Google Fi now works with the majority of Android devices, as well as iPhones.
Google Fi is now accessible with many Samsung, LG, Moto and OnePlus devices, as well as with iPhones, though that’s still in beta. In a press release, Google says that because this is the first time Google Fi is available for iPhones, there will be a few extra steps involved to get set up.
Though Google Fi is labeling the iOS addition as new, the ability to use Fi with an iOS device has always been available. However, a Fi user previously needed to activate a cellular network SIM card with an Android device. Now, with the inclusion of an iOS app, the activation can take place right on the Apple device.
Now, Google Fi is available in 170 countries, and the company plans on continuing that coverage. Even with the name change and additional device pairing, Google Fi will retain its most appealing features since launching in 2015, including no contracts, “unlimited” data priced at $10 per GB until $60, 24/7 customer support, just $20 per month for unlimited domestic talk and text, as well as unlimited international texts and Wi-Fi hotspot capabilities.
For frequent travelers, Google Fi is now an even more appealing option than ever. With the constant improvements being made by Google, such as increasing Fi’s speeds by 10x-20x, the product is worth exploring if you think you’ll make good use out of its perks.
On Wednesday only, if you purchase a Google Fi plan and bring your own phone, you can get a $200 Fi Service credit. In addition, for Wednesday only, when you purchase a qualifying device on fi.google.com, you’ll get a travel gift card in the amount you paid for the device — options ranging from Airbnb to Delta and Southwest. See complete terms for both promotions here.
Featured image by SOPA Images / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees