Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Postponed their Honeymoon Plans for Work
For Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the royal honeymoon can wait.
According to a Kensington Palace spokesperson, the royal couple will not be going on their honeymoon following their wedding on May 19. Instead of jetting off to their romantic retreat, the two will return to work on “their first engagement as a married couple the week after the wedding,” according to the Telegraph. The newlyweds reportedly chose Namibia as their honeymoon destination.
This is not the first time a royal couple has postponed a honeymoon. Back in 2011, Prince William and Kate Middleton also delayed their honeymoon to the Seychelles, opting to fulfill their royal obligations first. It was reported that Prince William returned to work as a search-and-rescue pilot the week after saying “I do.”
Many newlyweds, especially millennials, are following the royal couples’ leads in delaying honeymoon plans. According to the 2018 Newlywed Report, fewer newlyweds (less than 50%) are taking a honeymoon within a few days of the wedding. With that said, it is not a totally bizarre measure that the royals are waiting. After all, having a honeymoon slightly after the wedding gives newlyweds more time to rake in the points to travel to help them get to the best romantic getaways.
(Photo by Andrew Milligan – WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees