Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Postponed their Honeymoon Plans for Work
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the royal honeymoon can wait.
According to a Kensington Palace spokesperson, the royal couple will not be going on their honeymoon following their wedding on May 19. Instead of jetting off to their romantic retreat, the two will return to work on “their first engagement as a married couple the week after the wedding,” according to the Telegraph. The newlyweds reportedly chose Namibia as their honeymoon destination.
This is not the first time a royal couple has postponed a honeymoon. Back in 2011, Prince William and Kate Middleton also delayed their honeymoon to the Seychelles, opting to fulfill their royal obligations first. It was reported that Prince William returned to work as a search-and-rescue pilot the week after saying “I do.”
Many newlyweds, especially millennials, are following the royal couples’ leads in delaying honeymoon plans. According to the 2018 Newlywed Report, fewer newlyweds (less than 50%) are taking a honeymoon within a few days of the wedding. With that said, it is not a totally bizarre measure that the royals are waiting. After all, having a honeymoon slightly after the wedding gives newlyweds more time to rake in the points to travel to help them get to the best romantic getaways.
(Photo by Andrew Milligan – WPA Pool/Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.