Budget Carrier Primera Air Adds More US-Europe Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Over the last few years, the transatlantic market has become saturated with low-cost carrier’s like Norwegian, WOW and Level. Earlier this year, Primera Air became the newest player in town when it commenced operations with flights from the Northeastern US to London (STN) and Paris (CDG). After announcing flights to Brussels (BRU), Berlin (TXL) and Frankfurt (FRA) over the last few weeks, the carrier will add even more routes to its roster.
Primera plans on launching flights from Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR) and Toronto (YYZ) to Madrid (MAD) in Summer 2019. Daily flights from Newark will commence on July 16, 2019, and Boston will see 3-4 weekly flights starting August 16, 2019.
Note that the airline will be ending its service between Boston and Paris/London in October, and Newark and Paris/London in March 2019. By the end of summer 2019, Primera’s transatlantic route map should look like this, which is pretty extensive for an airline that entered the market a little over a year before.
Primera will be primarily competing with full-service carriers like American Airlines and Iberia from the Oneworld alliance, and Delta and Air Europa of the SkyTeam alliance on its new Madrid routes. The airline will operate its new Boeing 737 MAX 9 on the route, of which it has 20 on order. Right now, Primera’s fleet is composed of five new A321neos and 10 Boeing 7737-NGs.
Both the A321neo and MAX 9 are narrow-body aircraft with a 3-3 configuration in economy, although there is a premium economy section on the A321s with larger recliner seats.
These smaller aircraft aren’t as spacious as wide-bodies but do allow carriers to operate flights at a much lower cost than traditional long-haul flights.
TPG’s JT Genter reviewed Primera’s inaugural flight, which was then operated by a National 757, and while his journey wasn’t perfect, it still “demonstrated perfectly the power of the ultra-low-cost experience.”
Primera isn’t the bougiest experience but it does offer ridiculously cheap fares, especially considering they’re usually nonstop flights between major airports — we’ve recently seen prices fall as low as $63 one-way or $199 round-trip. However, the base fares only include a small carry-on bag — you’ll have to pay extra if you want to select a seat or have a meal on the flight. The airline says that fares from the US to Madrid will start at $149 one-way.
Featured image courtesy of Anna Zvereva / Flickr
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees