You no longer need a predeparture test to enter the UK if you’re fully vaccinated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Starting today, there is no longer a requirement for a predeparture lateral flow test to enter the U.K. This applies to both British citizens as well as travelers from abroad, except for those who have been in a red list country in the last 10 days.
Travelers must be fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine from an approved country — including EU member states, the U.S. and the UAE — for this to apply.
Keep in mind that this does not mean testing is completely removed from the process. Vaccinated travelers still need to book a Day 2 COVID-19 PCR test and complete a Passenger Locator Form in order to enter the U.K.
For more daily TPG news delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Furthermore, the traffic light system is now a thing of the past.
The U.K. government has decided to scrap the three colors and replace them with a single “do not travel” list. This list will be updated every three weeks with the first update scheduled for Oct. 7.
Currently, the U.K. ranks among the top countries with the longest list of banned countries with 54 destinations. And maintaining this list is increasingly difficult now that Ireland has scrapped its red list. There are rumors the list could be reduced to as few as nine countries by the next round of evaluations on Oct. 7.
If that’s the case, it would be a major improvement for the options for international travel.
Another change proposed for today was the switch from PCR testing to the cheaper lateral flow test for all Day 2 tests. However, this change has been delayed citing a lack of lateral flow tests for sale by the private testing providers. No new date has been announced yet.
Featured photo by Jean Arnas / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees