Popular Trail at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Reopens After Kilauea Eruption
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just in time for National Park Week, much of the famed Kīlauea Iki Trail has reopened one year after the devastating volcanic eruptions at Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park.
In May 2018, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and flowing lava caused massive destruction at the park, which is home to the Kīlauea Volcano — one of the most active volcanoes in the world. The damage was so severe that officials threatened to arrest locals and visitors that didn’t evacuate the area.
The lava flow ended up destroying more than 700 homes in the area, and with Kīlauea’s unpredictable eruptions, Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park would remain closed for the next 134 days. The public wouldn’t see even a portion of the park until September 22, 2018, when fractions of the area were opened to the public as the rest underwent construction and repair.
And now, finally, a majority of the popular Kīlauea Iki Trail has reopened to the public along with a majority of the national park.
CNN reported that the past year of recovery hasn’t been easy on park staff. With Hurricane Lane, two destructive tropical storms, the Mauna Loa (another volcano in the park) wildfire and the federal government shutdown, officials have had an extremely busy time, to say the least.
As for now, the park looks like it’s in the clear for any Kīlauea eruptions. However, scientists will continue to monitor for any activity. For updates, check out the Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park website.
Featured image by Jorge Villalba via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.