Polish airline LOT acquires German carrier Condor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Polish airline LOT announced Friday that the company has purchased German carrier Condor. The acquisition will bring Condor’s nearly 60 planes and 4,900 employees under the ownership of Polish Aviation Group (PGL).
Assuming all governing authorities grant antitrust approval, the Condor acquisition is expected to close by April 2020.
Condor CEO Ralf Teckentrup said that “our passengers have remained loyal to us” since Thomas Cook collapsed in September. Condor has maintained operations thanks to a $421 million bridging loan from the German government. Both Condor and LOT spokespeople stated Friday that “PGL’s investment will allow Condor to fully repay the loan.”
Condor will continue operating under the current brand and leadership and both airlines said that the new partnership will be beneficial thanks to “operational synergies.” Altogether, LOT and Condor expect to transport 20 million passengers a year.
“Maybe there was uncertainty about Condor’s future” in recent months, Rafal Milczarski, PGL and LOT chief executive, said at a Frankfurt news conference. “I would like to say very firmly today: There is no more uncertainty. Condor will not only survive, but it will grow very dynamically.”
Featured photo courtesy of Condor.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees