Plastiq Lowers Limit on Fee-Free Masterpass Transactions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sign up for a free Plastiq account here
Late last week, the company began sending out emails to some users announcing the change, which will lower the transaction threshold at which Plastiq will waive its 2.5% fee — from $500 to $250, according to Miles to Memories. A company spokesman confirmed the change on Tuesday.
Here’s the full text of the email:
“Due to the high demand for our latest promotion, conducted in partnership with Mastercard, we wanted to give you advance notice of an upcoming update. Starting June 1, 2018, the promotion will apply to any bill or invoice, up to a maximum of $250 each, instead of $500.*
“If you’ve already scheduled payments with this promotion, we will still honor the promotional fee applied to those payments. But please note that editing these scheduled payments will result in a loss of the promotional fee.
“If you haven’t taken advantage of this promotion yet, this is your time to do so! Don’t forget to make sure the payment is delivered by September 30, 2018 to qualify.”
The change means a $500 payment made with your travel rewards credit card will incur a $6.25 fee or 2.5% of $250.
On its website, Plastiq said the current promotion would end May 31, 2018. The new promotion is not live, so if you try to schedule a payment after June 1, you may see no discount — as I did. The company said payments scheduled on or after June 1, when the new promotion goes into effect, should see the fee waived on transactions up to $250.
If you signed up via a referral code, you’ll see the same fee I was asked to pay. You’ll have to make $500 in payments before you’re eligible for the fee-free promotion. Plastiq will waive that requirement if you sign up here.
How to Sign Up
If you don’t have Masterpass, signing up for the digital wallet is easy. Just visit Masterpass.com and create an account for free, then add your credit cards to the Masterpass account. Finally, log in to your Plastiq account, click on your default card at the top left corner of the page, then click “Add New Card.” Above the card icon, select “More Ways to Add,” which will prompt you to add a card from Masterpass.
Plastiq says the new promotion will be good on payments submitted or scheduled on or after June 1, 2018, and the payment delivery date must be on or before September 30, 2018. Cards must be successfully billed by Plastiq and remain in good standing to qualify for a promotional credit. You can’t transfer the credit, nor may you sell it or barter it.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.