This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sign up for a free Plastiq account here
The bill-paying service Plastiq has cut the limit on its fee-free transactions using Masterpass, citing “high demand for our latest promotion.”
Late last week, the company began sending out emails to some users announcing the change, which will lower the transaction threshold at which Plastiq will waive its 2.5% fee — from $500 to $250, according to Miles to Memories. A company spokesman confirmed the change on Tuesday.
Here’s the full text of the email:
“Due to the high demand for our latest promotion, conducted in partnership with Mastercard, we wanted to give you advance notice of an upcoming update. Starting June 1, 2018, the promotion will apply to any bill or invoice, up to a maximum of $250 each, instead of $500.*
“If you’ve already scheduled payments with this promotion, we will still honor the promotional fee applied to those payments. But please note that editing these scheduled payments will result in a loss of the promotional fee.
“If you haven’t taken advantage of this promotion yet, this is your time to do so! Don’t forget to make sure the payment is delivered by September 30, 2018 to qualify.”
The change means a $500 payment made with your travel rewards credit card will incur a $6.25 fee or 2.5% of $250.
On its website, Plastiq said the current promotion would end May 31, 2018. The new promotion is not live, so if you try to schedule a payment after June 1, you may see no discount — as I did. The company said payments scheduled on or after June 1, when the new promotion goes into effect, should see the fee waived on transactions up to $250.
If you signed up via a referral code, you’ll see the same fee I was asked to pay. You’ll have to make $500 in payments before you’re eligible for the fee-free promotion. Plastiq will waive that requirement if you sign up here.
How to Sign Up
If you don’t have Masterpass, signing up for the digital wallet is easy. Just visit Masterpass.com and create an account for free, then add your credit cards to the Masterpass account. Finally, log in to your Plastiq account, click on your default card at the top left corner of the page, then click “Add New Card.” Above the card icon, select “More Ways to Add,” which will prompt you to add a card from Masterpass.
Plastiq says the new promotion will be good on payments submitted or scheduled on or after June 1, 2018, and the payment delivery date must be on or before September 30, 2018. Cards must be successfully billed by Plastiq and remain in good standing to qualify for a promotional credit. You can’t transfer the credit, nor may you sell it or barter it.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees