Plane Crash in Algeria Leaves 257 Dead
A military airplane crashed in northern Algeria Wednesday morning, leaving at least 257 people dead, according to Algeria’s Defense Ministry.
The airplane crashed near the Boufarik Air Base between the city of Algiers and the city of Blida. Reports indicate that among those killed were 247 were passengers and 10 crew members.
According to an Algerian government statement obtained by The Washington Post, most of the dead were members of the army, but the number included some family members.
The military transport aircraft was a Russian-made Ilyushin Il-76, which isn’t used in any commercial capacity as a passenger aircraft. In 2003 an Il-76 crashed in Iran killing 275.
This is the deadliest plane crash since 2014 and the 16th deadliest in history. In 2014, 298 died after a Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777-200 was shot down and crashed in Ukraine.
Images show the tail of the aircraft separated from the rest of the fuselage. The aircraft is completely blackened, and video showed the aircraft on fire with smoke billowing from the crash site.
The New York Times said that 300 emergency workers are on the scene and that some of the bodies pulled form the fire had signs of “deep burns.” They also said that two people survived the crash.
The plane was traveling to Bechar, a city in southwest Alergria. It first had a scheduled stop in Tindouf near Algeria’s border with Western Sarhara. The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
Featured image by RYAD KRAMDI/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees